*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1033777-Week-1-of-2-In-Fort-Lauderdale
by Sum1
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#1033777 added June 13, 2022 at 6:54am
Restrictions: None
Week 1 of 2 In Fort Lauderdale
Locale: Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Week of: 

         I'm back in Fort Lauderdale this week and next.  I find it ironic that our facility opened here about 5 years ago, and I've been scheduled to be here at least once every year.  However, the schedule changes frequently, so this is my first year making it down to this locale.  Right now, I'm scheduled to return in July for four more days, then December for a week.  We'll see  what the future holds, won't we?

         The first week was spent delivering a basic Networking Class.  Everything went well, even if I was a little rusty with the course materials.  I love the hands-on opportunities offered in this course, and spent most of it doing just that.  The students love it too, making it even better.  Monday was 'Death By Powerpoint' as I like to call it, we finished that up the first hour Tuesday.  After that was all hands on.  I emphasized to the students that everything we were doing was in the Powerpoint slideshow, but doing it was far better than reading slides.  Additionally, there's a lab guide to follow, and we did.  Actually, we went above and beyond the lab guide.

         Since I have two weeks here, I rented a car for the weekend and drove up to Clearwater/St. Petersburg,  My Father-In-Law lives there alone now after losing his wife in September.  I figured he would like some company, and I was correct.  He insisted on fixing me dinner Friday night, and took me to breakfast both Saturday and Sunday.  In return, I was able to do what I'd intended, take him to dinner Saturday night.  (See below about where we went).  It was a great weekend though.  He needed someone to talk to, someone with a common background (We served on the USS Theodore Roosevelt SSBN 600 together) that would understand the things he mentioned.  So I listened.  A lot.  It was a very good visit, and a must really.  After all, he's 87, no telling when or if I'll see him again.


Noteworthy Restaurants:


         Pirate Republic Seafood          https://piraterepublicseafood.com/          This place sits on a river here, with beautiful boats cruising past.  I finally saw the one I'd own if down here.  A small inflatable dinghy.  I had their Spicy Garlic Shrimp for an Appetizer, and their 'Pirate Bowl' for my meal.  It was excellent, but even being on expense account it was expensive.  As a result, I may never return, unless I have someone to dine with and want them to experience the atmosphere and the pleasure of dining there.

         Rocco's Tacos          https://www.roccostacos.com/fort-lauderdale/          I was there twice this past week.  I dined alone on Monday.  While there I saw that on Taco Tuesday they have 'All You Can Eat Tacos' for $25.  When I mentioned that in class, two of my students wanted to go, so the three of us went there when class was done,.  It was so nice to have someone to dine with and talk/exchange information with.  I didn't do the All You Can Eat because despite my looks, I can't eat enough (you'd have to finish off 5 tacos to not be wasting money, since they normally about $5 each).  I had my favorite dish, Chile Rellenos.  This place really rocked on Cinco De Mayo, I was there, and it was crazy.

         Cuba Libre          https://www.cubalibrerestaurant.com/en/fortlauderdale/menus/dinner/          My Uber  Driver told me that Cuba Libre was better than my favorite Cuban place here, Padrino's Cuban Restaurant.  Frankly, I liked Padrino's a little better.  I had Paella in both places, and prefer Padrino's over Cuba Libre.  The view is better at Cuba Libre.  Once again I dined with a student, and he about broke his neck several times as a woman walked by.  *Laugh*  Padrino's is also quieter which I prefer.

         Shuck N Dive          https://shuck-n-dive.com/food/          This place is more of a Dive than anything, but it was fine.,  I was in the mood for Cajun food, so I went there.  The Mahi Mardi Gras was smothered in Crawfish Etouffee, and was served with Beans N Rice and Hushpuppies.  The food was pretty good, but lacked the heat one would expect in a Cajun Dish.

         Salt Rock Grill          https          This is an excellent seafood restaurant!  If I was looking to complain, I'd just say that I ordered their Shellfish Stuffed Sea Bass, and though it was outstanding, it wasn't stuffed, it was more like strips of Sea Bass just covered in their excellent Shrimp, scallops, and crab stuffing with citrus cream sauce, and garlic mashed potatoes.
But that's being very picky.  This is where I took Ken for dinner Saturday.  He had never been there, and loved it. For our appetizer, we had Tuna Sashimi, which was just scrumptious.  Our table was outside so we had a nice view of the boats at the pier.  Overall, it was a nice relaxing afternoon/evening.


In Closing

         I  spent the weekend in Clearwater as mentioned, and am right back here in Fort Lauderdale next week. Til next time, be good to yourselves and those you love, and WRITE!




Jim Dorrell

© Copyright 2022 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1033777-Week-1-of-2-In-Fort-Lauderdale