*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1034289-Jaded-before-the-rain
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#1034289 added June 26, 2022 at 4:53pm
Restrictions: None
Jaded... before the rain.
Based on: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JadeColoredGlasses

5th entry for June '22 edition of
Journalistic Intentions  (18+)
This is for the journal keeping types that come to PLAY! New round starts February 1!
#2213121 by Elisa the Bunny Stik


Just about half past ten

"Praying won't work."

"Sure?"

"Absolutely."

"Why?"

"It's not 1982, barns aren't made of wishes, grass doesn't float in the sky, and clouds don't rain men."

"Unless you're the Weather Girls."

"And dinosaurs aren't purple and green unless you're Barney."

"Do you have a yellow blankey like Baby Bop, Martha?"

"Nyet, Izora."

...

"Wish it would rain..."

"Men?"

"No, the grass is turning brown."

"Well, I'm kinda dry and thirsty as well."

"For men?"

"Now that you mention it..."

"I'll tell that one lonesome cloud to work on it."

"I'll be in the yard bringing our horse into the barn while you do."

"What horse?"

"The rainbow painted pony you refused to buy me for my birthday, cowboy."

...

"The twister just missed the barn. Did you see that green sky?"

"Yep."

"Well, at least it's raining now."

"Yeah, ducky. Catch any men flying by when you went out to check on the unicorn, Izora?"

"Not all my prayers were answered, Martha."


© Copyright 2022 Kåre Enga [179.36] (25.juni.2022)

Original in "Just about half past ten [36] ~160 words

ANALYSIS

All dialogue... not the easiest choice on my part, but I hope it works. I used differing fonts to make sure the two characters were distinguishable.

Not sure whether 'Martha' was just grumpy, frustrated or negative... drought will do that to a 'farmer'. Although it's not stated where they live, there's a Mid-West feeling about it. As the two characters obviously know each other well, they could easily be bachelor Norwegian farmers in the Dakotas.

The use of Martha/Izora makes one wonder whether they are in a same sex relationship... and male.

But, because the names are female they could just as easily be two women making a living out-on-the-range.

Stereotypes can lead to false conclusions.

Is my character Martha jaded enough? I'll let others decide that. Still Martha seems jaded while Izora may be wearing rose-colored-bi-focals.

By-the-way... the Weather Girls were Martha Wash and Izora Armstead. Originally 'Two Tons O' Fun' they definitely shamed the fat-shamers with their voices, presence and dance moves. Their hit record rose to #1 in 1982.

The song is fun, catchy and is used by the gay community as a type of anthem (with a couple word changes).

For your enjoyment:


~370 words (160+210)
58.006

© Copyright 2022 Kåre Enga in Udon Thani (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Udon Thani has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1034289-Jaded-before-the-rain