*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1036199-Prometheus-Unbound
Rated: 18+ · Book · Ghost · #2275621
Entries for the Micro Fiction Challenge 2022 and Drabble Activity 2024.
#1036199 added August 7, 2022 at 6:50am
Restrictions: None
Prometheus Unbound
Prometheus Unbound

Prometheus lost count of the the number of times his liver was eaten by the eagle, only to regrow during the following night. That is, until one bright dawn when the eagle failed to arrive.

With intact liver, Prometheus regained his strength and was able to break the chains, rusted as they were from the ages. He began his descent from the mountain.

On the way, he came across an encampment of hunters. They had found a dead eagle and were roasting it over a fire. Prometheus begged a share and died with the hunters from massive vitamin A toxicity.



Word count: 100
For The Micro-Fiction Challenge, Week 7
Prompt: Fire
Notes: In Ancient Greek mythology, Prometheus stole fire from the gods and brought it to humanity. For this crime, the gods chained him to a mountain where an eagle ate his liver every morning. The liver regrew each night only to be consumed again the next day. Liver causes vitamin A toxicity if eaten in too great a quantity. The eagle’s flesh must have been riddled with it after all that liver it had eaten.


© Copyright 2022 Beholden (UN: beholden at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Beholden has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1036199-Prometheus-Unbound