*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1038894-20221009-Opportunity-done
by s
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2263218
A blog detailing my writing over the next however long.
#1038894 added October 9, 2022 at 6:07am
Restrictions: None
20221009 Opportunity [done]
October 9, 2022, 8:15pm

Okay. My part of the talk went as well as expected. Considering how little prep time I had, I think it went well. The fun came in the Q&A session after. I answered questions, when I couldn't, I handed over to the woman in charge, who found an excuse for us not knowing.

But then a woman asked about self-publishing. I explained the talk was on finding a traditional publisher; there was a self-publishing session later on. She got belligerent, saying she'd tried "dozens" of publishers and they all rejected her work. Why? Without reading it, I couldn't tell her, but that was maybe something she could address with an editor or the like. She said editors wanted her to change things, to change her work.

The woman in charge stepped in and explained that she could book a session with the writer's centre. As a member it was free and she had a free hour with an expert. But this was about the publishing industry and not her problems. Next question was about poetry publishers and I had that answer ready - we have one in the city, small, but does good work... if they like you - and when I finished the belligerent woman stood and demanded to know what was wrong with her book.

She and the woman in charge got into a shouting match. I mean, nasty. So I and the others sort of gathered outside the room and left them to it, I answered a few more questions, I sold 3 books, and that was it. I had to wait for ten minutes for the arguing to stop.

So... that's my talk.



© Copyright 2022 s (UN: stevengepp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
s has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1038894-20221009-Opportunity-done