*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1039934-Washington-DC
by Sum1
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#1039934 added October 29, 2022 at 10:28pm
Restrictions: None
Washington DC
Locale: Washington, DC

Week of: 10/24/22

         This past week was spent in Washington, DC, working with the U.S. Secret Service.  This sounds like a 'Wow!' moment in some ways, but it was really 'just another class'.  The difference of course, was where I was, and the significance of the customer.  Yes, the class was held in the Secret Service Headquarters.  No, I didn't meet anyone that the Secret Service guards.  Yes, we had a conference room for the class.  It was small, pretty small.

         The class itself went very well.  The subject matter was relatively new to them since everything in their new system was IP based.  Their RF knowledge was sound, so talking about that part was easy, everyone had the chance to display their RF knowledge as we discussed system operation.  The IP part is how their new system is connected, so pretty new to most of the students.  The second half of the class concentrated on small device they had little to no knowledge of.  We spent Thursday and Friday configuring it, and discussing how it fits in their system.

         The highlight for me was the small gift shop downstairs.  On Monday, the manager went down and purchased two challenge coins, two lanyards, and two mouse pads, all with Secret Service labels on them,and gave them to me.  Later, I went there and added two more Secret Service challenge coins, a shot glass, and a nice bag that will be used to hold the cables and necessary adapters I take with me to every class.  This started out as a small zip-lock bag years ago, and is not a small carry-on bag for my flights!  I will give one of the Challenge Coins to a good friend of mine, and maybe one of the lanyards to another friend.  Obviously I will keep one of the lanyards for my use (work badge hanging from it), but I am not use what to do with the second one.  We will eventually use the mouse pads, it's too soon to do a lot since I leave for Schaumburg tomorrow.  Maybe I will give one of the lanyards to my best friend at work.

         I also had the pleasure of learning to ride the small electric scooters around the city.  We have a partnership with Uber.  We download the Ubre Ap and add our corporate card to it.  We then use it in large cities that we don't rent a car in, like Fort Lauderdale and Washington DC.  For less than $30, I rode one to and from work the last two- three  days (it was close enough to walk), and to/from restaurants at night.  I also snapped a couple of photos.


Photo's From Visit:



Sunset at The City Park



I served with this man (Dan Maloney) on the USS Alabama.  He was chosen as the model for this statue.  The sculptor snapped a photo as Dan exited his car and automatically flipped his collar up to shield his neck on this cold, windy, winter day.  He then shoved his hands in his pockets, and that's when the sculptor snapped the photo.  It was then used as the model that the sculptor worked with in creating this statue.


Noteworthy Restaurants:

         Oyamel Cocina Mexicana          https://tfgmenus.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/20221002_OYL_MainMenu-1.pdf          I have to confess that this was my second choice that night.  My first choice will not be listed here, but they had no available tables, I couldn't even sit at the bar!  So I dined here, and loved it.  For an appetizer I had Ceviche Verde.  Mediterranean Bass marinated in lime juice with avocado and tomatillo.  My dinner was Camarones al mojo de ajo negro.  Wild caught Gulf Coast white shrimp sautéed with shallots, árbol chile, poblano pepper, lime and sweet aged black garlic, served with a side of Spanish Rice.  Compared to most places (which serve you far too much really), the dinner seemed to be on the small side.  But it wasn't.  It was perfectly sized if you ask me, especially when I poured the Shrimp (Camarones) over the rice.


         Farmers & Distillers          https://farmersanddistillers.com/menu/lunch-dinner/          This was a nice place to eat, but the portion sizes were large, (as mentioned above).  For an appetizer I had Pickled Vegetables  Pickled Carrots and Cucumbers.  Excellent, except the Cucumbers were a little squishy.  My meal was Drunken Beef & Chicken.  Mushrooms, Bok Choy, Napa Cabbage, Bean Sprouts, & Sesame Seeds. 

         Umaya Izakawa          https://www.umayadc.com/menu-landing/          I was in the mood for Sushi this night, so I satisfied that urge by dining here.  My appetizer was Tuna Tataki Seared Tuna Sashimi served with Ponzu Sauce.  This was very good though it was shaped a bit like something from a shallow tin can.  It was actually molded in that shape is all.  I also had Shrimp Shumai, six smallish shrimp rolls served with an excellent dipping sauce.  My dinner was the Volcano Roll.  Baked Scallops, Tobiko, Shrimp Tempura, Kanikama Crabmeat Mix, Spicy Aioli, Avocado, Soy Reduction.  Everything was excellent, though it was a little hard to separate the pieces of the Sushi Roll.  I wasn't complaining though....


In Closing


         The next two weeks will be find me in Schaumburg delivering out two networking classes.  Til next time, be good to yourselves and those you love, and WRITE!



Jim Dorrell

© Copyright 2022 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1039934-Washington-DC