*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1042088-Last-Class-for-2022---Ft-Lauderdale
by Sum1
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#1042088 added December 23, 2022 at 10:49pm
Restrictions: None
Last Class for 2022 - Ft Lauderdale
Locale: Ft Lauderdale, Fl

Week of: 12/12/22

         This past week I was back in Ft Lauderdale to deliver a Networking Class that focuses on the Networking used in our radio systems.  This class was a little different than most others in one way.  I had eight students total, only one was a customer, the rest were Motorolans supporting customers around the country.  It was definitely interesting, and fun.

         Part of this class involves configuring routers that send data across the network.  These routers are small, babies if you will, compared to the routers used to route traffic across the Internet.  They work the same as those routers, just on a much smaller scale.  One of the settings in the routers is to disable what's called the Boot Monitor mode.  You have to follow a certain procedure to enable it, and it's not hard.  During a break, the one Non-Motorola student removed his base card, the one that contains the router configuration and such.  I immediately noticed that this card was set to allow entry into the Boot Monitor mode, something we don't teach in class.  I know how to do it, I know what it's for.  I held the card for a moment and removed the jumper.  This guy already knew about the Boot Monitor mode, he just didn't know exactly how to enter it.  One of the Motorola students who did know mentioned how to do it.... so I answered that the jumper was removed and it wouldn't enter that mode.  The student tried to anyway, and to my surprise, it did enter the Boot Monitor mode!  Well, that wasn't right, and I knew someone had reconfigured something in the startup that allowed that.  This occurred on Wednesday, so after class on Thursday I stayed late and spent an hour reading the depot manual.  I found what I was looking for, and disabled it.  I also wrote a short note describing what I'd found and sent it to everyone who delivers this class.  Why? We share knowledge!  And, the man who edits this class didn't know about it, he of all people should know this!  I was surprised too, because Dan knows an awful lot about Networking in general.  In fact, I tell my students that he was there helping Bill Gates with the early Microsoft development (I know, Microsoft is not about routing and such, but you get my point).

         The class critiques were good, except one Motorola student selected the wrong boxes.  What do I mean?  The students grade us on our knowledge, ability to deliver the class, etc.  This person chose 'Very Dissatisfied' for all six boxes, then proceeded to praise my delivery and knowledge.  He just selected the wrong box by accident is all.  Thank God for small favors too, because the praising tells anyone (like my boss) who sees the reviews (he looks at almost all of them) that the wrong box was accidentally selected.  All in all, a very nice last delivery for 2022.

         I didn't visit any new restaurants this week.  In fact, I had dinner in my room two nights.  One, I was tired. Two, I started trying to eat less and limit my weight gain.  I'm now at 225# and would like to be at 210 max, and ideally less than 200#.  That's not easy when you visit nice restaurants.


In Closing


         I am home for 3 weeks, my only real time home for any length of time through July right now.  Some classes may be cancelled or delayed, those dates will most likely be filled in too if that happens.  Look for a Notebook entry about my 2023 first half schedule.  It's a bit insane compared to just 6 years ago.  Til next time, be good to yourselves and those you love, and WRITE!



Jim Dorrell

© Copyright 2022 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1042088-Last-Class-for-2022---Ft-Lauderdale