*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1043344-Dont-spoil-it-for-others-BANANA-3-Prompt-2-13
Rated: XGC · Book · Opinion · #1501776
May my opinions gather wind under their wings and fly, perchance to soar.
#1043344 added January 19, 2023 at 1:09am
Restrictions: None
Don't spoil it for others BANANA #3 Prompt 2 [13+]
Don't spoil it for others. Americans love their independence but no one survives alone. Humans are social animals. We need each other. We also make mistakes. And we need to be seen and appreciated.

Where should the line be for the common good on personal freedoms (yelling "fire" in a crowded theater, etc.) and who should draw it (government or ?)?

Every community draws lines. In Thailand one CANNOT insult the king or the royal family. This is NO joke. In the USA the president is misquoted, mocked and hung in effigy. Thais are taught to be tolerant. Americans just love or hate in an evil game of us versus them.

I think 'government' is the wrong word. There is no government without community. Even autocrats are overthrown if they don't bow to the needs of the people.

As for freedoms... whilst the Taiwanese wore masks out of knowledge of how serious a disease covid could be, out of concern for themselves and others, out of civic duty, the Americans spat at each other. Enough said.

Should criminals be locked up, housed, feed and clothed at the public's expense, or something else?

And your alternative is? Americans don't believe in equity. It's dog eat dog. Why not just presume guilt and shoot them? Ah... Americans already do that. The alternative is found in civilized countries around the world. Norway has proper jails. Portugal decriminalized drugs, considering them to be a health issue. Many Islamic countries execute in a short period of time; no 20 years on a death row with the same results.

Are the Olympics still a worthwhile event since they are very expensive, have become political, and just benefit a few, if any?

The Olympics give athletes a goal to strive for. Same with the World Cup, Miss Universe, Superbowl, Oscars and the Emmys.

All of the above are extravaganzas that have been politicized with money going to the few. That said... to Ahmed Hafnoui, the Tunisian who won a gold medal in swimming it was the highlight of years of training. And the same for Robin Williams (Good Will Hunting), Argentina '22 and the Buffalo Bills (we're still hoping).



~297 words

© Copyright 2023 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1043344-Dont-spoil-it-for-others-BANANA-3-Prompt-2-13