*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1045452-Koeksisters
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #2223922
A tentative blog to test the temperature.
#1045452 added February 24, 2023 at 10:36am
Restrictions: None
Koeksisters
Koeksisters

Fried Food Friday popped up on the newsfeed again today and, for once, it gave me an idea. So I answered “banana fritters,” and then remembered that I’ve always wanted to try a deep-fried Mars bar (a Scottish idea but reputed to be very tasty).

Suddenly I was overwhelmed with the memory of the only genuine Afrikaner koeksister I’ve ever eaten and the competition retired gracefully, knowing they were beaten. It was too late to enter it as my answer to the question so I thought I’d tell you about it instead (lucky you).

A koeksister is a South African doughnut, twisted into an attractive braid, and then deep-fried before being soaked in syrup. I don’t know what type of syrup they use but it is unbelievably sweet and tasty. And the whole koeksister is absolutely delicious and addictive in a way that no doughnut deserves to be.

There are recipes on the net but, in my experience, the only way to know about the real thing is to find a nice Afrikaner lady (Charlene Theron would do) and beg her to make koeksisters for you. If you’re as old as I am, the result will probably kill you, but what a way to die!

I really must stop answering those WdC Question posts on the newsfeed.


A type of South African doughnut, deep-fried and soaked in syrup.



Word count: 217

© Copyright 2023 Beholden (UN: beholden at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Beholden has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1045452-Koeksisters