*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1045621-Portfolio-re-read-Rated-E
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#1045621 added February 27, 2023 at 12:12pm
Restrictions: None
Portfolio re-read (Rated E)
Andre the Blog Monkey's Banana Bar/Share the Love Event, February part 2

Merit Badge in The Blogging Banana Bar
[Click For More Info]

    Congratulations & Thank You   

  from       Andre      

For competing the full four weeks of the Non-Judgmental Blogging Event in January 2023. 

Please show your badge when entering the Banana Bar and join others in the  Banana Bloggers' Lounge .

 Your blogging is always welcome at  [Link To Item #1985857] .  Owl with signature


P23: When did you last go re-read items you wrote over 2 years ago. Go read one and tell us about what you thought of your writing from back then.

I chose "Mushrooms On the Trail" to reread. It was first entered into my portfolio on September. 29, 2015. Then it was modified September 2nd, 2017. After I read the story, I thought it would be good to go back and re-edit it. I would be more specific in some sentences. One explanatory paragraph should be aimed at the reason for it being there. It seems to bounce from the characters of the story to the narrator in an odd way. I do like the story content. It was supposed to have a small adventure while presenting wild mushroom facts as purposeful as possible.

Then there are words to put in and words to take out. I think anything I write would need editing after a couple of years. I rely on the editing tool a lot for spelling and commas. I know a lot about grammar but always ignore specifics until I finish writing a piece. The older I get the less it seems to matter although, as a reader I know that isn't true.

I was in a local writing club in the early 1970's. The leader was experienced in selling some of her work. She told the club you should lay your writing aside for a week or so then reread and edit it again. Even if you do what she advised, I think you should do it after a couple months. Editing is an ongoing purpose for any writing, and it is the job that doesn't get done often enough.

I should review some of my own reviews. The ones I wrote about books I have read. They are the oldest and probably need a lot of work.

Recently, someone reviewed a poem I wrote in 2021. "Future Knowledge," is an ok poem. I just don't remember writing it and posting it. I don't consider myself a poet either.

I have another story line about a horse stable in the portfolio. I wrote the first stable story when I took my course with WDC about fiction short stories. I took two of the stable stories out of the portfolio that had the same characters and setting. I'm not sure they are still where I put them. Sometimes, what I write comes up missing here.

If anyone had offered to pay me for my writing it would probably make a more subjective need to me. Since, that does not happen I guess it still doesn't worry me much.

One time someone took a story I wrote and rewrote it their way. The grammar was perfect in the way they submitted the story The story had lost the mystery and character I had put into it.

When I review others on WDC, I keep what happened to my story by the other writer, in mind. It is nice to have good grammar. A written piece also has to have something special presented by the writer. Grammar is important but, the story has to have that special something from the personality of the writer.

All words count by WDC:554

WRITE ON!

© Copyright 2023 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1045621-Portfolio-re-read-Rated-E