*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1046724-The-Boss-and-The-Babe-Thailand
Rated: 13+ · Book · Travel · #2032403
ON THE WRITE PATH: travel journal for Around-the-World in 2015, 16, 18.
#1046724 added March 20, 2023 at 10:50am
Restrictions: None
The Boss and The Babe (Thailand)
Boss is pronounced like 'bot' and if the t (unaspirated) isn't heard one is left with 'baw'. And 'baw' is a negative like 'mai'. It may also be more Lao and Isan is definitely more Lao culturally. Minor details that a Thai might notice, but helps with characterization. Now... your comment... yeah! Really well played. In fact, the opening was extremely well done. It shows the tightness of the group (important for Thais), good cultural references, and that Cher cannot hide his feelings... they read him like a well-read book.

But his "I didn't just want to be friends" is a definite ouch moment. And very realistic. I think 'no drama' would be better because the truly-interesting story line would be weakened.

Hmm... in Thailand? I ask because I'm in Udon Thani and have a much-younger boyfriend and nobody blinks. Yet, the staff gossiping about the possibility seems very real and very Thai. Cher/Laem character is from Udon and the family's reaction to Gun's stay-over feels right culturally as well.

Around 09:30 ... the concern about playmates 'growing up' is very real.

16:00 Give it all; take it all. Sizzling goosebumps!

Thoop and 10.000 baht. A lot of money. But... could be family, however that's defined. 21:15... Tian is dead. Thoop is his little brother. Laem is looking after him and Thoop is defensive. Makes sense. However, the back story could be even more interesting.

Flat landscape. Yep.

28:50... Udon... 29:00... Isan is known for hot-and-spicy. I can't eat it if it has too much chili (and neither can some Thais). 30:00 for an anniversary... is this related to Tian and Thoop?

Note that the clothes are loose and comfortable. They're working but this isn't a fancy place in Krungthep. And even if it's out in the middle of nowhere... if the food is great and people know... they go. Colorism is a big issue in Thailand; note that the customers are darker skinned.

The family's reaction to Boss spending the night is precious. I wouldn't be surprised if the fancy car and city clothes weren't a factor. But they may be hoping that Laem has found someone (a good catch).

32:40 papaya salad (the regional dish) and salted crab and fermented fish? So... Isan.

36:00 I haven't heard about The Ghost Widow yet; but the inclusion of local beliefs is another indication that the setting matters to the writer and director. 37:50. Lipstick and humor. Humor is important to Thais. 38:00 product placement. Helps the actors earn some extra money and provides funding for BLs. I've see some well known BL actors in ads and on billboards (Ohm, Billken...). 39:00 'cute' and 'face' both include 'na'; another inside Thai joke. 40:20 A/C is everywhere, so Gun may not be experienced in living with a fan, a net, and mosquitoes. And Isan can be very very hot. 38 degrees (99F) in Udon today. 41:30 Gun is becoming more playful. 42:00 Gun is claiming Laem as his own. "Shut down" may be a clue that Laem isn't ready... why?

© Copyright 2023 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1046724-The-Boss-and-The-Babe-Thailand