*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1047281-Am-I-real--Words-395-rated-E
by Sumojo
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2186156
The simplicity of my day to day.
#1047281 added April 4, 2023 at 9:46am
Restrictions: None
Am I real? Words 395 rated E
Words 395
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1985857 by Not Available.

P20. Will the AI "ChatBots" replace most writers because it can "write" anything asked (essays, stories, bios, etc.)? As a writer, do you feel threatened? Can what it writes be trusted (truth or garbage)?

This topic has prompted many discussions with people who either have never even heard of them, or with people who have very strong views.
At my writing group which I attend weekly, I suggested maybe the AI Chatbots are not all bad. One of the members could see no possible use for them. When I dared to suggest it could be useful for generating ideas for a story or a column she got very irate. I admit to asking, chatgpt, to write me a letter of complaint to my local shire council about the installation of a very bright ,illuminated, information sign in our local park. The information I supplied was the name of the shire council, the complaint and the place of the sign, naming the park. To say I was impressed would be an understatement. The letter pointed out all the issues and was grammatically correct. It definitely sounded as if it had been composed by a human being. I had tried it out as a trial, simply for my own understanding, but I thought to myself, why bother spending half an hour composing a letter when this will more than suffice.
I must admit it worries me for sites such as WdC. Take poetry for example. How can we differentiate poems written originally by a member and one generated by a bot? Perhaps in future I may have cause to doubt the origins of some of the contest entries.
Short stories and novels are different. It would be almost impossible for a bot to write in the style of a writer and I believe would be spotted as being generated by AI.
But some universities are accepting the use of AI bots. Their rationale is that they are here to stay and to use them for better rather than worse. After all in an exam it wouldn’t be allowed so the students would still have to have the knowledge of the subject being taught.

It’s a tricky one to get used to but as all technology we will find ourselves asking an AI bot to do mundane tasks, giving us more time to utilise in a productive way.

© Copyright 2023 Sumojo (UN: sumojo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sumojo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1047281-Am-I-real--Words-395-rated-E