*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1048535-20230421-Ghostwriting-Explained
by s
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #2263218
A blog detailing my writing over the next however long.
#1048535 added April 21, 2023 at 12:06am
Restrictions: None
20230421 Ghostwriting Explained
April 21, 2023, 1:30pm

So, yesterday's post garnered two questions that I feel need a wider answer than what I could give in a response to a Newsfeed/Blog comment.


Alisha P. ☕ asked, "What is ghostwriting?"

Fair question, and I made the assumption it was known. Ghostwriting is when you do the writing for someone else. Most (not all, but the vast majority of) celebrity autobiographies are ghost written by someone who actually understands English. In fact, Tyra Banks "wrote" a fiction novel, but it was ghost-written for her by someone who took a heap of hand-written ideas and notes and cobbled them together into a not very good whole, and Banks' name was slapped on the cover to sell it.
         What it generally involves is sitting down with a person, taking notes and listening to how they talk, and then putting their stories into some sort of cohesive whole while maintaining that voice the subject has. You may also need to ask questions and you will need to rewrite a lot of passages. It is like interview journalism on steroids. Although, yes, you can even ghostwrite fiction for someone with an "idea" and no skill.


tj ~ endeavors to persevere! asked, "Where would be a reliable place to look further into this?"

Wow. This isn't easy. In Australia, there are not many who advertise, as most ghostwriters are working journalists looking to make some extra money. We might be a small country, but the biggest selling books tend to sporting personages' autobiographies, and so these writers (who may be anonymous, or just get a "with" credit) tend to be on a percentage contract and make good bank.
         I advertise in the newspaper. "Ghostwriter available. Want your story told in your words, written by a published author? Call XXX..." is how my advert starts. Costs money, yes, but I've covered two years' worth of paying for it through what I've earnt so far.
         Now, in the USA I think it would be the advertising way. There is no "group" overseeing ghostwriters, so it would be a matter of starting with word of mouth/advertising and then seeing your brand grow. It's hard work to get the clients, but then it is up to them to see it published, to market it, and everything else. You just need to write and do first edits. And "just write" is not as easy as it sounds.
         Ghostwritten works can also be used to filled your writing CV.


Ghostwriting is a challenge. I like it because of the money, but also I meet people I wouldn't otherwise meet, and so have more characters I can populate my fiction with. It is also something that pushes my previous genre barriers, and so extends my writing oeuvre.

I hope that helps.



© Copyright 2023 s (UN: stevengepp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
s has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1048535-20230421-Ghostwriting-Explained