*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
3
4
6
7
8
10
13
14
15
16
19
20
21
22
24
26
27
28
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1049428-Quotation-Schmotation
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #2223922
A tentative blog to test the temperature.
#1049428 added May 10, 2023 at 11:27am
Restrictions: None
Quotation Schmotation
Quotation Schmotation

Whenever writers start slinging advice around, you can bet that the old Hemingway quotes will come out. Which I’m sure is very edifying for most, but not for me. My problem is that I never liked Hemingway. Don’t like his style or his subject matter or his attitude. Never have and, in all likelihood, never will. So it’s predictable that I won’t take any notice of what he had to say about writing.

The strange thing is that the writer of that generation that I admire the most, J.D. Salinger, was a great fan of Hemingway’s, in his younger days at least. I am prepared to overlook this one weakness in the great Salinger, however, and would be happy to listen to any advice he might have given. And the same goes for Steinbeck, even though he was a bit of a one-subject man.



Word count: 145

© Copyright 2023 Beholden (UN: beholden at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Beholden has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1049428-Quotation-Schmotation