*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1050758-The-48-Hour-Challenge-Media-Prompt
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #2223922
A tentative blog to test the temperature.
#1050758 added June 8, 2023 at 9:27pm
Restrictions: None
The 48-Hour Challenge: Media Prompt
The 48-Hour Challenge: Media Prompt

In the past, I have attempted this challenge on precisely two occasions (if memory serves me well). Usually, the song choice is way outside of my taste and I have to pass on the offer to comment. I’m sure the challenge owners don’t want me to be rude about their choice, after all.

But they’ve come up with a good one this time. I’ve never heard of the group, OK Go, and I must admit to being pleasantly surprised at their song, Obsession, and its accompanying video. Both are pure entertainment from start to finish and highly original into the bargain.

The video alone was enough to win me over. The novel idea of using computer printers to spit out paper in time to the music, creating a myriad of fascinating visual effects, is brilliance indeed. Add the fact that the printer noises combine with the music to become an orchestral constituent makes the song a valid contribution to electronic music and musique concrète. It’s a cascade of shape, colour and sound that is a delight to the eye and ear.

And so to the song itself. This is a pounding, repetitive tune that is entirely in keeping with the title. Obsession is certainly a matter of repeating impulses to a fascinating object. I googled the lyrics (to echo the words of my father from long ago - I can’t hear what the singer’s saying) and they are deep enough to be worthy of some thought. This makes a happy change from the usual throwing together of a few meaningless phrases.

Altogether this was a refreshing experience. The song is catchy and the video a delight. If only they hadn’t decided to include the somewhat creepy assurances that the paper used would all be recycled. God, I hate the self righteousness of the modern world, even if it is caused by the fear of being cancelled for some imagined offence.



Word count: 320

© Copyright 2023 Beholden (UN: beholden at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Beholden has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1050758-The-48-Hour-Challenge-Media-Prompt