*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
2
3
5
7
8
9
10
11
12
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1051056-What-Would-You-Do-If-Told-You-Only-Have-a-Year-To-Live
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #2258138
This is my blog & my hope, writing daily will help me see my progress and log supporters.
#1051056 added June 14, 2023 at 11:16am
Restrictions: None
What Would You Do If Told You Only Have a Year To Live
Recently, I was with someone I care very much about who was told she only has a year to live.

You, me and no one really knows how we would react to that news...but because we are creative people here at WdC, why don't we try to imagine what those words would change in our old plans...before we knew that in 365 days, everything ends for us.

Some people couldn't even go there, I'm sure, and for you, feel free to opt out. And for those who are willing to play along, good for you because this might change how you presently think about your life.

The first thing I imagine most of us would do is cry. But don't spend too much time feeling sorry for ourselves because we have more important things to do than shed tears.

The bucket list comes to mind...do all the things we always wanted to do but for whatever reason, never got around to.

Can you imagine how terrifying it would be for some people who are afraid of heights climbing up to altitude with nothing but some string and cloth to save their asses.

And when the time comes for them to jump out of a perfectly good plane, it might be very different for those of us who have less than a year to go and are busy racing through that list. I imagine there wouldn't be much hesitation...not for a second, then to leap into the abyss without any fear because we don't have as much to lose.

That sensation as we plummet towards the earth wouldn't be anywhere near as frightening for us as it would be for someone who has more to lose than an already condemned person. And I imagine it would be the closest we might come to forgetting the reason why we are up there in the first place, instead of at our desks doing the right thing by everyone but ourselves.

Of course, upon a safe landing, reality would return to sender and remind us that there's no time to waste enjoying that moment because we still have a lot of things to do before we are no longer.

Ok, I think we can stop imagining now and consider why it is that it would take such a horrible piece of news to get us to do the things we might include on our actual bucket list?

You could ask yourself why you haven't yet done the things you have always wanted to do, but always found an excuse not to? .

Kids...mortgages...careers...or just losing sight in the hustle and bustle of life? A life that might just end in a year from now, like it will soon for my mom.

Yes, you might live to be a hundred or you might walk out your door tomorrow morning and never return. No one really knows when they are going to die unless they are told. And even though we are creative people, we have zero idea of what that would, in reality, mean to us.

Would you regret not doing the things you always wanted to do? Because no matter if it's tomorrow or a hundred years from now, you might never do them anyway.

Let me give you some free advice...it's all a trap...a trap you can only get out of if you are aware that you are trapped. Otherwise you might wake up one day and go, "Oh fuck, what have I done?"

It doesn't always go that way and some people can find a balance between work and life outside of work...but not many. Most either live with the reality by denial or some other way to make it seem ok. God or a bottle or suicide can help, but rarely provide a good answer.

Or, you can see that thing that is holding you in place, snap that fucking binding off your leg and go do what you want to do before you are too old or too beaten down to have the balls to take the risk. Or before you run out of excuses.

Of course, I could be full of shit and I guess one day you will know for sure. I hope you do make the right choice and I truly mean that.

© Copyright 2023 Dr Gonzo (UN: neilfury at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dr Gonzo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1051056-What-Would-You-Do-If-Told-You-Only-Have-a-Year-To-Live