*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1051643
Rated: E · Book · Writing · #2241557
Poems and prose for various contests over the course of the decade.
#1051643 added June 26, 2023 at 9:44pm
Restrictions: None
Nobody's Here
I could hear music and voices and laughter. The sounds of a string orchestra with an energy of a great ball. Anticipation built as I made my way through the corridor, I could feel my heart beat quicken at the thought of joining in the festivities. Of being whisked over the dance floor in the arms of some handsome, young man. Just the thought had me almost running down the hallway. Decorum pulled me back to a more sedate pace, but my longing soared.

I could see shadows of dancers flickering over the parkette floor just under the door. Smiling I gripped the handle and through open the door.

My heart seized.

"Nobody's here," I whispered looking wide-eyed at the empty ballroom. All the glitter was gone. All the music. All the laughter. All of it, gone. Silence echoed my whispered words back to me as a chill rippled over my skin. How can that be?

I dared a glance back the way I came and felt the world tilt. My fingers gripped the door handle like a life line. What was this place?

A muffled sound rose up around me and I shook my head to make sense of it. It was music. Muffled at first, but as I stood there reeling at the unknown chasm I had fallen into, I began to make sense of the melody.

Welcome to the hotel California.

A scream escaped me as I realized there was no getting out of here. I was trapped. There was no way out... and I was so very much alone.

Word count = 263.



Logo for Writing.Com Moderators - small.
For new Mods!


My owl signature from Gemini Gem.
© Copyright 2023 πŸ’™ Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
πŸ’™ Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1051643