*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
11
12
19
20
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1051675-Scents-and-Smells
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1051675 added June 27, 2023 at 1:51pm
Restrictions: None
Scents and Smells
Prompt: Scents and Smells
Do you have a keen sense of smell? Can smells change your mood or maybe make you happier and healthier?


---------

Actually, any maybe unfortunately, no. My sense for smell was never as strong as some people I know; however, I can detect smells and scents well enough for my own good. I am not sure smells trigger vivid memories for me either, as some people insist that they do, and even though I can be somewhat nostalgic every now and then, it is more likely due to visual cues triggering the nostalgia in me rather than aromas and scents.

It is said that certain fragrances, like lavender, chamomile, and vanilla can help reduce stress, anxiety, and even promote better sleep, and scents like citrus, peppermint, and eucalyptus can uplift mood, increase alertness, and enhance focus. As much I like and appreciate all those scents, to the best of my knowledge, they don't have any effect on me, except for me recognizing them.

Then, there is such a thing as aromatherapy used in treatments for mood disorders and mental health problems like depression, anxiety, and insomnia. I doubt that such a treatment would do anything for me at all, at any time.

All this hoopla about scents and aroma is because, according to those who study these things, scents can also have direct physiological effects on human bodies. For instance, certain smells can stimulate the production of endorphins, which are natural pain-relieving chemicals and the aromatic compounds in scents can affect the autonomic nervous system, influencing heart rate, blood pressure, and respiration. I am not saying that these finding are false; only that I haven't experienced them.

All I know is that certain plant pollens and dust, maybe some smells too, do trigger allergies and asthma in my body. Maybe it is because of that "asthma caused by allergies" diagnosis by my doctors that I am not experiencing and enjoying the scents as well as they deserve to be enjoyed.

Then, if not for me but for everyone else, I hope all those nice scents and smells can create a healthy atmosphere as I am all for harmony and happiness for all people.




.

© Copyright 2023 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1051675-Scents-and-Smells