*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
11
12
19
20
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1052326-Lessons-Learned
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1052326 added July 8, 2023 at 12:06pm
Restrictions: None
Lessons Learned
Prompt:
Use these words in your blog: abscond, embezzle, prowess, whimsical and dog days.


-------

Paul was Elmwood's most trusted accountant. The townspeople so trusted him that they neglected to keep after their own savings and investments.

And why not! Their accountant Paul was an unassuming figure with his salt-and-pepper hair and a pair of spectacles perched on his nose. He was known for his meticulous nature and unwavering dedication to his work. Beneath his mild-mannered façade, however, Arthur nurtured a whimsical dream of adventure.

One scorching summer, during the dog days when the sun beat down relentlessly, Paul stumbled upon a hidden account while sifting through a pile of dusty ledgers. It was a secret fund amassed through many years of embezzling.

Urged by his hidden desire for excitement, he decided to abscond with the embezzled fortune and leave behind his dull life as an accountant. He packed a small bag and left the sleepy town of Elmwood, embarking on a journey across distant lands.

During his travels, he managed to master the art of persuasion, honed his prowess in stealth, and embraced the unknown with every step he took. Over the duration of a couple of years, he gained reputation as the "Phantom of Fortune," with people speaking of his uncanny ability to charm his way into secured vaults, his unparalleled agility in eluding capture, and his whimsical sense of justice.

Yet, after a series of escapades, Paul began yearning for his old, familiar life, and with a heavy heart he relinquished his stolen fortune, donating it to charity, and returned to Elmwood, tired and weathered.

When he arrived at his old town, the folks of Elmwood greeted him with open arms. This was because Paul's tales had captured their imaginations, and they treated him like royalty. From that day on, Paul was no longer the mild-mannered accountant. He was now a living legend, and so what, if what he did was ethical or not.

The only thing they knew was that Paul had dared to dream and had shown extraordinary potential in making his dream come true.

Yet, the folks in Elmwood learned how to be truly meticulous in keeping up with their own savings and they watched Paul's every step. As to Paul, although he knew what he did was essentially unsavory, he found comfort in having taught a lesson to the people in Elmwood: The lesson of keeping an eye on their very own money.

.



© Copyright 2023 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1052326-Lessons-Learned