*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1052754-Smokey-Daze
by Tim
Rated: E · Book · Activity · #2299896
An attempt at creating a daily blog.
#1052754 added July 18, 2023 at 9:50am
Restrictions: None
Smokey Daze
Hello boys and girls! It's a smokey day here in North Carolina. I reduced my morning bike ride back to 6 miles today. I'm trying to get to 10 mile rides and I was close on Friday but it was too much, I could only eke out 9.66 miles and it took a long time to recover...so, I'll cut back for a week. I still have over 60 miles of riding this month with 6 hours on the saddle. I'm hanging just over 10 miles an hour for my average speed and hope to work that up to 12. I also want to make individual rides last an hour but, I'm running out of possible routes without having to spend too much time on main roads. Some drivers are extremely courteous and shift to the other lane to pass but some barely make an effort to move over. I have to be careful I don't swerve a bit or I'll get smacked hard...and very few slow down. It would not be good.


I've got an idea in mind for a more dedicated topic to write about..."Me and my camera" and that could cover adventures of picture taking (quite adventurous, right?) but I'm toying with it to see what I can develop it into. Maybe it will work, maybe not, all I can do is try.


I'm doing some reading about writing, a few books that were recommended in an online course I'm taking. In my opinion, the books suck! Big words, long complicated sentences and my brain gets lost. Rather than being "how to" books, they seem to be "how to fail" themed. I keep hoping for enlightenment but I'm ready to throw in the towel. I seem to find more encouragement on this site.


I did get a copy of "Elements of Style" on Kindle and am skimming through it. It seems to be a very good reference for things forgotten or that I never knew. I also grabbed "On Writing Well", much like a follow on to the Elements book. Both are old mainstays and I try to absorb as much as I can. I got them on Kindle because they are easier to read for me. I had what they termed a "mini-stroke" a few years back and it impacted my optic nerves. I lost vision in both eyes pretty much below a horizontal line going through the pupils. It really sucks but I could have easily woken up blind. I could easily sit back and whine and snivel but I can still pass the vision test to drive (not that I drive much these days) and I'm able to find most things to read are available in electronic form to put on my computer.


All in all, I could find plenty of things to complain about, old age isn't playing nice but I'm able to get up each day and get done what is needed. Not a lot of frills but I'm able to pedal my bike around...bottom line, LIFE IS GOOD!


Tim




© Copyright 2023 Tim (UN: tapiot at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Tim has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1052754-Smokey-Daze