*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1053177-First-entry-for-August----The-Fredericksburg-Campaign
Rated: ASR · Book · Other · #2289858
Reviews for Books Read
#1053177 added July 27, 2023 at 9:29pm
Restrictions: None
First entry for August - " The Fredericksburg Campaign"
This book is titled "The Fredericksburg Campaign - Winter War on the Rappahannock" by Francis Agustin O'Reilly. It was published by Louisiana State University Press, Baton Rouge, 2003. This leads me to believe that it is a textbook, or at least required reading for a class at the University.

In the prologue, it describes the events of the winter campaign of 1862 {Fredericksburg), during the Civil War. At this time, Major General George B. McClellan was to be removed as commander of the Union Army. Major General Ambrose E. Burnside was given command, and instructed to report troop positions and to "tell us what you are going to do" with the Army of the Potomac.

The Union was in desperate need of a victory. President Lincoln was tired of McClellan's stalling and hoped that Burnside would rally the troops to ensure that victory.

The book then proceeds to outline the battle over the following fifteen chapters. It is followed by an Epilogue, and appendices that were added in 2006.

As someone who enjoys history, and also reading about the events of the Civil War, I found this book informative and gives a unique perspective on this particular battle. For the way it is set up and the information given, I give it a 5 *Star* rating. I would recommend it to anyone who would be interested in the Civil War battles.

I also follow a history teacher's blog called "Vlogging Through History" (VTH) below is part one and part two of the Civil War episodes that briefly touch on Fredericksburg. He reacts to them and gives additional information regarding the Civil War.







signature updated by lili_in_fl
© Copyright 2023 AmyJo- only 2 steps behind - (UN: ajar0627 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
AmyJo- only 2 steps behind - has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1053177-First-entry-for-August----The-Fredericksburg-Campaign