*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1053711-August-rains-down-upon-us
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #2296648
Left-overs piled on hot rice and mixed.
#1053711 added August 6, 2023 at 3:48am
Restrictions: None
August rains down upon us
All three bloggers answered the same prompt. I just follow. Time for more coffee... always. And feeling blessed that my left hand hasn't caused any problems. As a left-hander that matters.

To Lyn's a Witchy Woman (Lyn) re "August and rains Three days of rain, sprinkles and drizzle here. Much better than drought or smoke. The birds manage but I've seen fewer flies, bees and butterflies. Even the flowers may be holding off for some sun. They'll get some later if not sooner.

I've opened the door to the hall and the one to the balcony to get fresh air. It's a 'cool' 79 degrees.

I love the coming and goings of the seasons. Thailand has them too. We had leaf-fall last week after some heavy rains as worn-out yellowed leaves littered the ground. It's the season of green papaya as the season of durian has passed. There isn't any snow here, but by November, 60s will seem cold and then 50s? Dry season can be brutal on vegetation but some take advantage of the sun to burst out in flowers and new leaves if their roots go deep enough. Every animal knows where the puddles and canals are. Survival is always key.

As for surgeries... they are a type of survival as well. Not as important as coffee but still...


August in Costa Rica and Thailand is rainy. Monsoons at the moment. Mostly drizzle... all day. But it's cooler and not as threatening to my well-being. It's bright enough that the weather doesn't depress me. People do... but that's neither-here-nor-there. Good memories of Lake Spitfire in the St. Regis region.

To Joy (Joy) re "August Rains

August was never my favorite month. Great in Geneva when I visited once, but nowhere else. I endure August.

As a child I spent time in my garden. My father would take off work for a week or two and we'd go to my grandparents in sticky-humid Pennsylvania or to the lake after my grandfather died, and for three years to the Adirondacks when I was 13, 14, 15. University started in August and usually the first football game.

But I preferred September!

I've always been a Spring/Autumn person.

But it's raining here today. I rejoice in the cloud cover. I worked out in the drizzle. I have no problem shedding tears.


August 15 is mother's Day in Costa Rica. August 1st-2nd marked the beginning of Buddhist "Lent" here this year. I celebrated MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech every August 28th years later, for 15 years.

But August was mostly hoping my tomatoes would ripen and that school would start. It often was a lonely month growing up.


To Prosperous Snow celebrating (Neva) in "A Rainy August Evening

I loved storms growing up... even the flood of August 1963. Someone rowed down our street!

I loved the storms of Kansas and Oklahoma. I learned not to cross flowing water. I found out that hail could hurt and that winds could rip a town asunder.

August... die she must. I preferred September.

144 views

© Copyright 2023 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1053711-August-rains-down-upon-us