*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
11
12
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1054091-First-Day-of-School
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1054091 added August 14, 2023 at 12:58pm
Restrictions: None
First Day of School
Prompt: During your school years, what were your experiences like on the opening days of school? Is there a specific incident or a school year you remember that had a major impact on the rest of your life?

-------------

I was sort of lucky only because we never moved at all and I graduated from all my schools knowing most of the students from earlier years and the teachers, too. Still, the first day of school was always a whirlwind of excitement, curiousity, nervous energy, and, inevitably, a few mix-ups that would leave everyone laughing for some time to come.

Strangely enough, at my old age, I can still recall some ot those first days, however in a general fashion. With an air of anticipation or rather being unsure of what to do, some of us wore the newest clothes bought for that school year and others especially wore their oldest ones, saying those who used the newest bags and clothes were so crude and coarse. To this day, I haven't solved the puzzle behind those both ways of thought. What difference would it make in the long run!

It was exciting to unite with friends, though, especially those I didn't see during the summer, talking to them and watching their faces light up as we exchanged stories of our summer adventures. The teachers--in the home-room, class-room, or whatever--would usually walk in greeting us with their warm smiles and well-wishes for the coming year. Not all teachers had the same cheerful demeanor though. Some would get serious and warn us of this or that behavior and the importance of following the rules. After that, we'd figure out who goofed with unintentional mixups once the roll call got under way.

Then, there was always the locker fiasco, with the combination locks refusing to open or some students getting the wrong locker. Lunchtime was exciting, too. Some of us got in the cafeteria line while others brought their lunches. Being young, we did enjoy the cacophony of confusion all around.

Usually, there would be at least one or two new students who moved from somewhere else and they would usually be shy while some of them got in the middle of everything. The shy ones I had made my business to talk to during the recess or invite them into my group of friends.

Yet, those first days I mentioned above were for the grade school and high school years. College and uni. years were a lot different. But, I got lucky there, too. During the very first day, I made two good friends who became the core of our very large group later on. I have to say, I had a much better time during my higher education years.

Still, I can't recall if I ever mixed up a schedule or class or anything on the first day of school, in any of my school years. Maybe it was so long ago that my memory fails me. Then, for sure, all my air-headedness, confusion, or uncertainty came rushing upon me way after my schooling. *Laugh*


.

© Copyright 2023 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1054091-First-Day-of-School