*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1055197-One-Down-Two-to-Go
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #2258138
This is my blog & my hope, writing daily will help me see my progress and log supporters.
#1055197 added September 5, 2023 at 8:13am
Restrictions: None
One Down, Two to Go
Or in baseball terms...Ok, here we go we got a real pressure cooker going here...two down, nobody on, no score, bottom of the ninth. There's the wind-up and there it is a line shot up the middle...look at him go, this boy can really fly. He's rounding first and really turning it on now. He's not letting up at all he's gonna try for second. The ball is bobbled out in centre and here comes the throw and what a throw. He's gonna slide in head first...he's out. No wait, safe at second base...(Thanks, Meatloaf. RIP).

I saw my GP today hoping to get him to sign off on the form declaring to the administrators of my 401k that I am permanently incapacitated and unable to work in the job I am trained for (heavy truck driver). I didn't foresee a problem, but as is the way, my doctor didn't agree with my assertion that it was unlikely I would ever be employed as a truck driver in the future.

I couldn't understand his issue, after all, in twelve months, I can claim my money anyway. The problem is my siblings are unlikely to be willing to wait a year for their payout. I have to admit, in the moment, whilst my doctor and I went back and forth arguing our points, I became desperate. There was a lot at stake and I did what I had to do.

Addiction teaches a person many things, and how to manipulate a situation becomes at times, a survival skill. I didn't lie to my doctor about my situation, but I made sure he was acutely aware of what might happen if he decided not to sign the form. He has been my and my mother's doctor for many years, so he knows how close Mom and I were. When he baulked, I told him that my Mom wanted me to be secure and that was one of the reasons she left me the house. I also told him that if I couldn't access my super, there was a very real possibility I might become homeless...and how that would make my Mom feel if it were to happen.

But, it appeared my pleading wasn't moving him, so I went next level and began to cry. He was completely unaware of any recent drug use, and as I broke down, I admitted to him that I had relapsed. The tears were genuine, as was the story, but the truth is I was using the facts in order to try and get what I wanted/needed from him. I could see in his eyes that he was beginning to shift his position, but he still refused to sign until he had time to review my records and make a final decision. At that point, I thought it was a 50/50 shot, but then, two hours later, I got the call to come into his office and pick up the signed paperwork.

I'm only halfway there though, and have another appointment on Thursday morning with a specialist, to try and get the second opinion that I need. I think this will be easier because doctors are, in general, reluctant to contradict each other. This, and the fact that I am paying him $220 for the consultation...and we all know that money talks, I hope will swing his decision in my direction.

Assuming he agrees with his fellow MD and signs off, then it's just a matter of posting the application to the administrator and then praying that the trustee grants the approval to release the funds and I will become a homeowner with no mortgage.

© Copyright 2023 Dr Gonzo (UN: neilfury at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dr Gonzo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1055197-One-Down-Two-to-Go