*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1055287-One-Down-Two-to-GoPart-II
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #2258138
This is my blog & my hope, writing daily will help me see my progress and log supporters.
#1055287 added September 7, 2023 at 4:25am
Restrictions: None
One Down, Two to Go...Part II
Again...in baseball terms...This kid is really making things happen out there. Batter steps up to the plate...here's the pitch and he's going, and what a jump he's got. He's trying for third, he's in the dirt...safe at third...holy cow, stolen base. He's taking a pretty big lead out there, almost daring him to try and pick him off. The pitcher glances over, winds up and it's bunted down the third base line...the suicide squeeze is on. Here he comes, squeeze play, it's gonna be close. Here's the throw, here's the play at the plate...holy cow, I think he's gonna make it...(Thanks again, Meatloaf RIP)

Stop right there...they say an apple a day keeps the doctor away. But today, I would have preferred to use a 12-gauge.

I attended my appointment with the specialist orthopedic surgeon earlier today, the application for early release of my 401k in hand. And, almost as soon as I sat down, he told me he wouldn't be filling out any paperwork. When I questioned why, he looked at me like I was an imbecile. I noticed that when he spoke, he did it slowly, I guess just in case I had trouble understanding what he was trying to relay to me. He explained that if I was covered by medical insurance, he would examine me and offer the insurer a quote to (attempt to) fix my knee. This, he said, even if they chose not to go down that path, would set them back 3.5k, and in hindsight, I wish I had asked him how much it would take for him to sign my papers if I paid in cash.

The only solace I took from the situation was when I resigned myself that I was back to square two and that arrogance IS such a great equaliser. Once I realised I had wasted my time, which, funnily enough, was about two minutes after he realised I had wasted his time, when he saw me walking towards him, papers in hand, and knowing I had zero chance of convincing him otherwise (I knew tears were not going to affect this one), he became just another wanker from my past.

There's still a glimmer of hope. Tomorrow I have an appointment to see another GP, who my administrator has assured me, if I can convince him to sign, will be enough to lodge the application. And if not, I have another plan, after all, failure is simply a stepping stone to eventual success.

© Copyright 2023 Dr Gonzo (UN: neilfury at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dr Gonzo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1055287-One-Down-Two-to-GoPart-II