*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1056070-Feedback
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1056070 added September 22, 2023 at 10:22am
Restrictions: None
Feedback
Prompt: Feedback
Lyn's a sly fox asked: "I was reading about feedback plans. And it made me wonder what's the best feedback one can receive. The worst? Then I wondered does feedback serve us better early in the process or when we have a finished draft? So I'm curious about your thoughts."


-----------

I am not sure what is the best or the worst kind of feedback, for this may depend on the receiver and the sender of the feedback. I guess the worst one, here in WdC, is the kind some send to add to their review count. Those feedbacks usually end up being the same lines to everyone. On the other hand, getting any kind of feedback is a positive. It means the work was seen and read by someone.

In general, feedback is most helpful when it is timely and specific. Since each piece of writing is different, its use of the feedback as to when could also be different.

In early drafts, feedback could be beneficial to me as it may change the direction of concept, which could help me refine the piece. Then, after a break, that is when I have taken time off, it can make me more receptive to suggestions. Also, before the final revision, corrections on the minor issues can help me refine the piece.

The feedback received while trying a new genre or style is also useful, especially when it comes from a writer who is experienced in that area.

Writers can also ask for feedback on certain issues from other writers they trust. This type of focusing can be especially useful if the writer of the piece doesn't know where to go or has developed a writer's block.

Then, feedback from a professional editor can be transformative, helping writers not only improve their current work but also develop their skills for future projects. Yet, here is a user beware issue. Some editors are so set in their ways and ideas that they don't recognize a gem when they see one. Quite a number of award winning pieces are the ones where the writers didn't listen to those editors but found a different publisher instead.

Still, having said that, I sincerely believe that almost all feedbacks are good for validation and encouragement as they may provide the tools we writers need for growth and improvement.


,

© Copyright 2023 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1056070-Feedback