*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
2
3
4
5
6
8
9
10
11
12
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1057015-October-8-2023
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #2299971
My journal about my conversion to Judaism.
#1057015 added October 8, 2023 at 9:29pm
Restrictions: None
October 8, 2023
On the day of tragedy comes dancing. Simchat Torah was interrupted by explosions, gunfire, and death. On the most joyous day of the year, tears fell. Around the world, people prayed for Israel and their safety. In synagogues, prayers lasted for hours and then, as commanded in the Torah, joyous celebrations began.

Simchat Torah is the finishing of the Torah reading and the starting of the reading all over. The Torah consists of the first five books of the English bible: Genesis (בראשית), Exodus (שצות), Leviticus (ויקרא), Numbers (במדבר), and Deuteronomy (במדבר). This means they finish reading the book of Deuteronomy and then started reading Genesis. This is read in Hebrew in the synagogue so no matter what country you find yourself in, you can walk into a synagogue and join a service. This is one thing (of many) that unifies the Jewish people around the world. This site offers a good English and transliteration combo https://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/63255/jewish/The-Bible-with-Rashi.h...

It was somber at parts with hugs and comforting those with children and family in Israel and serving in the IDF (Israel Defense Forces). However, after some amount of alcohol, the reading was done and the dancing began. The dancing was accompanied by singing for Israel, singing for Hashem, singing for the future of the Jewish people, singing for the coming of the Mashiach, and singing for a joyous year because we are commanded to do so.

Did I sing? When I knew the song or the words were repeated enough times, yes. Did I laugh with others, yes. Did I cry with others, yes. Did I dance, of course! I joined hands with the women and danced around the shul while the men danced with the scrolls on their side of the shul. Children were on parent's shoulders waving flags of celebration. Men climbed on top of other men's shoulders and sang and danced in circles around the synagogue. The Torah Scrolls made rounds around the synagogue for hours. Then the dancing and singing went outside.

Under the stars, men formed one circle with the five Torah scrolls dancing and singing. Women formed another circle, holding hands and danced and sang. Children got into the middle of the circle and we celebrated the children in attendance. It was a celebration of Torah, a celebration of the acceptance of the Jewish life, a celebration of all things Jewish, and a celebration of the hope of the future of Israel as promised by G-d.

The words, "We want Mashiach now!" rang out from the synagogue, both days, out into the streets. Peace. Peace for Israel and for the entire world. A world full of people loving one another, helping one another, friendship, and family. A world full of people that loves one true G-d, the G-d who created the heavens and the earth and everything and everyone in it. That is what it means to want the world with the Mashiach in it. That is what it means to be Jewish.

To spend two days with people who share my love for G-d and see it celebrated so openly and to have a one (if you live in Israel) or two day holiday specifically to show joy and love for receiving G-d's word is beyond amazing, spiritually satisfying, and proof of everything that is right in the world.

With wars and hatred for Jews for just being Jewish, do I still want to become a Jew myself? Yes, I do. More than ever.

© Copyright 2023 Jeanette (UN: babygirl328 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeanette has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1057015-October-8-2023