*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1059659-NaBloPoMo17-Adding-rainbows-to-dreary-days
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #2296648
Left-overs piled on hot rice and mixed.
#1059659 added November 18, 2023 at 1:18am
Restrictions: None
NaBloPoMo#17 Adding rainbows to dreary days.
Death... is it leaving one's Comfort Zone? After-all, whether one's 20 or 70 it's all one has ever known. In Thailand, however, the concept of rebirth is part of the culture and based on a bit of reality. Ever meet a child who reminds you of someone you once knew? Or see a youth who's the spitting image of his great-grandfather? We all study the stories of our ancestors. Maybe it's more than genes that are handed down and recycled.

It's not that I believe in reincarnation... just that humans are very... human...

I regret that I didn't go to visit Sonali when I had the chance (although the epidemic didn't help). I'll never meet Arun Bhatia. I'll never hear his stories other than a few that are recorded. I wonder whether anyone will feel that way about me.

I mentioned to Sonali a month ago that she could take in borders, maybe a writer or two. Keep a spare room available for sojourners passing through, call her abode the "House of Hufflepuff". Would you stay there? As a fellow Hufflepuff, I'd want to meet all her Slytherin, Ravenclaw and Gryffindor friends.

Hufflepuff's can be kind (there are exceptions) and tend to be home-bodies. Even the inquisitive traveler Scamander had a home.

When I had a house, I had all types of people (refugees, writers, borders, roommates, homeless) stay or visit. That was a past lifetime though... or so it now seems. At the time it was just me being me.

I didn't know what I know now. Such is life. One lives it.

On the 18th we'll go out. Maybe eat shabu. 7/11 is good enough most days. I really like some of the local street food. I don't need fancy; but, it's been one year, and I want to do something special, and Pan loves to eat! It's outside my comfort zone. Again.

Everything exhausts me. Writing, exercising, breathing... I'll either die gasping for air or slowly slip into oblivion without a peep. I'm that tired these days.

I should edit some recent poems and enter a couple contests... just because. Writing something brilliant is elusive. In many ways it's a nice daydream that adds rainbows to many dreary days.

To Prosperous Snow celebrating in "International Day for Tolerance Travelers learn tolerance... or stop traveling. It's more than patience. The language and cultural differences can be surprising. Book-learning ill prepares one for the journey. It's the face-to-face attempts to connect, the kindness of strangers, and understanding that barriers can be overcome.

It needn't be done abroad. Most communities have outcasts. That's a good place to start.

It requires leaving one's comfort zone. It can also mean 'letting go'."


To Jeff in "National Fast Food Day A short driving distance *Laugh*

I laugh because I don't have a car. But there's a Swensen's, McD, BK, and KFC all within walking distance. Central Udon Thani is very livable in that way.

We are supposed to go out someplace special tomorrow. We'll see. It won't be American fast food! Possibly Shabu-shabu (ชาบู ชาบู), other Japanese or Korean. Pannya will choose. I'm just as happy with basic fried rice with pork, duck or chicken.

I do like Wendy's (been awhile) and Subway is fine at the Seattle airport; but, I'd rather eat at a local mom-and-pop place in Montana or elsewhere. Udon Thani has a great Swiss-run pizza place (Da Sofia) and Koala has an incredible Philly cheese-steak. I've met the owners.

I have eaten at the local McD's because they are open 24/7 and have good a/c. Mostly I just eat at the street markets (dumplings, roti, chicken-liver...).


To tracker in "Birthday for a friend I've submitted 'great' poems and... nothing. Not a peep; not even a review. But, I've won a few contests as well. I have a fistful of Second Places *Ribbonr*.

I've read other writers' laments over contests. It does come down to what the judges like. You could write a poem worthy of the New Yorker and still get snubbed here and elsewhere.

I try to read 3 blogs/day. More than that is exhausting for some reason. *Sad*


670 words
405

© Copyright 2023 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1059659-NaBloPoMo17-Adding-rainbows-to-dreary-days