*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1060201-Gifts
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1060201 added November 27, 2023 at 10:53am
Restrictions: None
Gifts
Prompt: Gifts
What does the word gifts mean to you? And have you ever received a deeply meaningful gift you weren’t expecting? Tell us about it.


------

Gifts, at first thought, bring to my mind all those God-given (or nature-given) gifts. Then, when I think more about it, everything is a gift. Even the rotten times in our lives are gifts because they teach us about life and ourselves, whether we want to be taught or not, and they show us our own mettle, which we may be too blind to see.

Yet, above all, life is a gift in itself, whether we hold it dear or not.

Then, comes the gifts humans give to one another for any reason or for no reason at all, and they serve as a universal expression of emotions, appreciation, and connection. This is because the act of giving and receiving gifts goes beyond a material exchange; it is a powerful means of communication and it strengthens bonds between any two people.

Gifts are often associated with celebrations and milestones and they also have something to do with cultural celebrations as different cultures attach unique meanings to specific types of gifts, enhancing the symbolic value. Gifts can show love, gratitude, friendship, and sympathy, providing a medium through which we communicate emotions. A well-chosen gift can convey sentiments more effectively than words alone.

Be it a show of generosity and altruism, or symbolism and thoughtfulness, or even reciprocity a gift goes a long way to build relationships or mend broken ones. My favorite kinds of gifts, however, are the unexpected kinds that do not have anything to do with a birthday, achievement, or a celebration like Christmas or a New Year.

At the top of those unexpected kinds comes the sapphire ring I never take off from my finger. My husband and I were in the jewelry store to have a battery replaced in a watch. While I was looking outside the window to our car, he noticed this ring on the display counter together with a matching pendant and bought them right on the spot, saying they would look good on me. This set will always be my most favorite gift.

.

© Copyright 2023 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1060201-Gifts