*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1060197-Gravity-Rediscovered
Rated: ASR · Book · Contest · #2268413
A place to keep my entries for various contests and challenges
#1060197 added November 27, 2023 at 7:38am
Restrictions: None
Gravity Rediscovered
We spent a few days over the holiday at my son's and I managed to once again fall days behind in my blog. This entry is for Friday, November 24. It's not written to a prompt, but based on actual events...

While visiting our son, his wife, his daughter, their two dogs, and one cat, it got a bit crowded and chaotic at times. My wife and I also have two dogs so it was a constant task of keeping animals in check. They got along pretty well but it took a while for them to adjust. But, just having four dogs running around underfoot was trying at times. Even so, we had a good time, but it was not a restful time.

My wife's nephew is staying with us for the winter and is teaching my wife to play guitar. She's been using one of his, but since we were in the St. Cloud area, wanted to look around for a nice used guitar of her own. So, Friday we went to a few pawn shops to see what we could find. Of course, it was Black Friday, so it was hectic and busy everywhere. We found her a good used instrument for a great price at a pawn shop, then took it over to a music store to have them check it out.

They told us it was a good guitar and in terrific shape, but needed new strings and a bit of maintenance. For fifteen bucks they tightened, cleaned, and replaced the strings (the cost of the strings was separate). While they worked she picked out a strap, some picks, and a spare set of strings.

It was a bit trying driving around in a small city with heavy traffic but we managed just fine, finished our shopping and returned to our son's house. After dinner, my wife tried to play a bit on the guitar, but one of the dogs went berserk every time she strummed a cord! More chaos...

Later, after our granddaughter was in bed for the night, the dogs had finally settled down and it was quiet and peaceful, we sat and visited with a few drinks. I normally drink bourbon or brandy, but he had a good wheat whiskey he wanted me to try. It was good and I sipped on a double shot over ice for about an hour. Next, he mixed the same whiskey with cranberry raspberry juice, so I tried one as well. It went down smooth and the two tastes sent well together.

I don't know if it was a result of the chaos and hectic day, or just visiting and having a good time, but we sat up quite late visiting, laughing, and enjoying drinks. It was just us four, me and my wife and him and his wife, and it was an enjoyable evening. I wasn't paying attention to how much I was drinking, and didn't really feel like I was getting inebriated. But, around two in the morning we stepped outside to get a bit of fresh, cool air. All four of us went out and everything was fine.

But, it was a cold night and I was soon ready to go back in. I opened the porch door and got about halfway to the inside door when all at once gravity decided to yank me off balance and down towards the floor. I stumbled but managed to keep my feet under me, but I had just rediscovered gravity, and it was making it difficult to walk. I did manage to get back inside without much difficulty (the door refused to line up with my hand the first attempt at opening it).

I sat for a few minutes and sipped on some water then decided I'd better head off to bed while I could still fight back gravity. We were sleeping on the second floor and I knew the steps were going to be difficult. They were. But I managed to scale them, got changed, used the bathroom to wash up a bit, and went to bed.

The following morning I was up about eight, my mouth felt like some mouses had tried nesting in it, but otherwise I felt alright. I went downstairs and got some coffee which did the trick of clearing out the mouse nest in my mouth. No hangover, even though I had unintentionally drank way more than I had intended. I was alright with that. I don't usually have more than one or two drinks, so it didn't take a lot for me to rediscover the effects of gravity and how it increases with alcohol consumption. I remember something from the lower grades in school about Issac (Fig) Newton getting hit on the head by an apple and that was how he discovered gravity.

I'm not buying it, Fig was sipping apple cider (hard apple cider) and got drunk, that's how he discovered gravity and that also explains why he was sitting under the tree.. he tipped over and couldn't get back up!

A proud member of "WdC SuperPower Reviewers Group

"Reading soothes the soul, writing sets it free." T.J.

© Copyright 2023 tj ~ endeavors to persevere! (UN: callmetj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
tj ~ endeavors to persevere! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1060197-Gravity-Rediscovered