*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1060370-Back-To-Los-Angeles-For-The-Last-Time-In-2023
by Sum1
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#1060370 added November 30, 2023 at 11:51pm
Restrictions: None
Back To Los Angeles For The Last Time In 2023
Locale: Los Angeles

Week of: 11/27/23

         This week I was back with LAPD for another Fleetmapping class.  I delivered this class to the Port Of LA las year.  Duncan Angami, the Senior Communications Engineer with LAPD is the reason I'm here.  He sat in that class last year and wanted me out here for LAPD.  To me, being asked to deliver a class by a customer is an honor.  He surprised me even more as we talked during a break.  He said that they had checked out Fleetmapping Engineers (yes, there is a job for people who do nothing but help customer build Fleetmaps), but none of them seemed to satisfy him.  He then asked me if I could do this for LAPD.  I was floored, but tried not to show it.  I explained that while I was an instructor still, I wouldn't have near enough free time to do that.  He then said, "You're going to retire in the next year or two, aren't you?"  Once again, I was floored at that idea.  I know I could do it from home, but it might require monthly trips to LA here.  What a thought, going into business for myself as a Fleetmap Engineer.  WOW.

         This week's Fleetmapping class was essentially a repeat of the class two weeks ago.    It's a class I love delivering, mainly because there is a lot of interaction between myself and the students.  Such was the case this week.  Once again there was a lot of discussion between the students and myself, as well as a lot of questions asked.  I think the best part for me was when a student asked a question about audio issues on their consoles.  I don't deliver the console classes, but still told him my thoughts on what it might be.  I then posed that question to the Console Instructors in Google Chat.  Guess who's answer was correct?  Well, partially correct, because there is another issue (a hardware issue) that could have caused it.  Since this has been happening on multiple consoles, I knew that was probably not their root cause.  At least now they know of a couple of things that should be checked.

          Below is my current schedule through January, which has undergone a change this week.  The Department of State wants a class delivered in March.  It's a mixture of classes, and I seem to be the instructor they ask for.  Plus, with this mixture of classes, I'm about the only person who can deliver this.  The biggest problem is I'm not qualified on two of the classes.  Apparently everyone else is qualified on one, if that many.  One of the classes is not in our curriculum, so the course will need to be written.  That's why I have all that prep time.  Let's just hope it's enough.  It's nice to be wanted, but retirement is looming it seems.  We'll see what the future holds.


11/20:  Work From Home - Thanksgiving week
11/27:  Work From Home (my other half has carpal tunnel surgery)
12/11:  Work From Home
12/18:  Christmas Break
12/25:  Christmas Break
1/1/24:  Kansas  (Thursday/Friday)
1/8:  Fort Lauderdale

1/15:  Work From Home
1/22:  Schaumburg  (very tentative)
1/29:  Work From Home


         Well, that's about it for an update, at least for now.  Until my next post, be good to those you love, spoil them, and write!






Jim Dorrell

© Copyright 2023 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1060370-Back-To-Los-Angeles-For-The-Last-Time-In-2023