*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1060404-Chapter-5
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #2309407
They are given a task to acquire a dragon's egg, by a merchant paying size able sum.
#1060404 added January 5, 2024 at 5:37pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 5
         They began to move their horses at a cantor, they did not wish to have any attention drawn to them, They had to be careful in doing this They checked over their shoulder to see if any one was pursuing them. No one even looked at them as they rode onto the road. Creeton still had his mule to ride, Thallin and Shallynne rode horse’s that they had bought from the livery stable. The horse’s were fresh and seemed at ease with their being there.The horses were at ease.
         As soon as they had ridden further into the woods, the horses began to move as if they were ill at ease. This was a quite a few miles into the woods, they three riders had begun to feel nervous as they rode here. The trees were large, they were evergreens, the grass rose up from the ground, it was as if nothing had passed there. The three of them saw animals frolicking about in the woods. Squirrels chasing each other in a happy go luckily way.
         Their mouths had grown dry, their skin paled, they shivered as if afraid. Their hands grew wet from sweat they were feeling as it rose from their skin. They felt that the being who was watching them was to their right, the brush was deep and dark. They looked into the woods trying to see what was the cause of this happening.
         They could not see anything other than the animals.
         The feeling was fear, that they were feeling. They had been feeling fear as the snake that was there driving its fangs deep within their veins. The poison filled their hearts and minds.
         The being that was watching them, did not move. It stood there waiting for their arrival. It knew they would come to it. It knew that they would ride to it. Where it waited for them to come,
         It knew they would arrive where it knew they would come. They were afraid of the guards who pursued them. They wanted to stay safe. It would allow them to be what they wanted to be.
         No one seemed to notice them doing this. They felt relieved by their not doing this on their behalf. They were fortunate, the further they had went into the deep dark woods, they felt that they were being watched by someone or thing. It felt like these eyes were malevolent in nature.
         A chill crawled up their backs, They began to ride faster the deeper they got. Their steeds were struggling to breath. The air had grown colder as well. The grass looked as if it was frozen, They were no sure as to what was happening.
         Shallynne turned about to see what was watching them. These eyes seemed to be upon them. She could not shake the feeling she was experiencing. She asked,”What do you think is watching us?”
         Creeton looked at her, slowly drew in a breath, and than spoke, “I don’t know what this is that is watching us. I don’t feel at ease with this happening to us.”
         Creeton closed his eyes, he felt some warmth seeping into his veins.
####

         He lifted his head to see his lady standing before the altar she looked about the chamber. She smiled as she saw him there. She said,” What is wrong?: Her eyes narrowed to pinpricks in size, she stepped away from the altar to approach Creeton as he stood there looking at her, he had never seen her move away from the altar.
         She was walking toward him, Creeton felt a chill crawl across his form, he was about to back away from her, She was upon him, before he could move. She dropped her hand to his shoulder. Creeton felt dizzy.
         She allowed him to rise from where he was kneeling to peer into her eyes. Her lips were succulent red in hue. Her hair is blonde. She said,” What is happening Creeton?”
         “I don’t know, we feel as if we are being watched as we are riding into the woods. We are afraid.” Creeton said, as he finally got his tongue to make words eh spoke.
         “Do you know who is watching you?”
         “No we don't. Why are you afraid?”
         “Of what we are feeling with these eyes resting upon us. Is it a foe, that we have not encountered before?”
         “Who is Zan, Why does he want you to find a dragon’s egg?”
         “Zan I believe is a merchant, I do not know why he would desire a dragon’s egg.”
         “”What purpose do you think, he wants a dragon’s egg for?”
         “I don’t know why he wants one of those?”
         “Can you dare to guess?”:
         Creeton walked with her inside the chamber, she led him to a room, where a table lay covered in food, and drink. Creeton was not sure as to why he was there. He knew of no one who had ever been allowed here.
         The room had columns rising from the floor, as soon as they entered the room four guards appeared, they walked to the area through which they had come. They released curtains to fall across the path they used. to enter the passage way. The guards were armed, they had six arms a piece.
         Creeton began to feel fear as it opened its gaping maw to close upon him. Sweat ran from his brow. He trembled as he looked at her. She smiled, and brought her hand beneath his chin to have his eyes rest upon hers. She turned to face the table, she drew up a goblet with which to drink from. The goblet touch her lower lip, she began to drink the fluid, She said,”Drink Creeton, you are safe,"
         Creeton's lip touched the goblet's edge, the fluid began to flow into his mouth.
####

         Creeton found himself to be back to the others riding with him, He knew that they were safe. Creeton smiled, and said, “we are safe.’
         Thallin said, “Where were you?”
         “With my lady.” Creeton said.
         “You were away from most of the day,” Shallynne said as she looked at him.
         “I couldn’t have been gone that long, could I?”” Creeton said as if puzzled by what Shallynnne said.
         They were now riding near a meadow, tall grass rose from the ground, it was almost to the height of their horses withers. They saw no movement anywhere. It was as if where they were was an area of suspended animation, Silence filled the air aide from the sound of their horse’s hooves striking the ground.
         Shalllynne tried to get her horse to move faster than it had been moving at. Moving it into a quick gallop. The hose sped from where it had been. Currently riding. They saw something that was not grass, it looked brown like soil, this thing was smooth with a gentle curve to it.
         They were riding toward it. Suddenly Thallin vanished from his horse’s back. The horse reacted as if frightened, it turned to ride away from where he had been on its back. There was a faint sound of grass snapping. They turned to face where Thallin had been.
         There was nothing, only grass blades that rose up and where driven under the horse’s body until moved away. Creeton whirled about to see what had happened, but he did not see anyone there. Thallin had vanished, the silence was all he heard. The quiet that was there grew in its amplitude.
         Creeton tumbled from his horses back.
         Shallynne whirled about to find that she could not see either of them. What happened she bit her lip in horror.
© Copyright 2024 Richard Allen (UN: rickyallen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Richard Allen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1060404-Chapter-5