*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1061640-Welcome-2024
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#1061640 added December 31, 2023 at 12:22pm
Restrictions: None
Welcome 2024
Our 2023 Old Year Out / 2024 New Year In

Merit Badge in The Blogging Banana Bar
[Click For More Info]

  Congrats on Your Super Effort

in  NaBloPoMo 2023  

with  [Link To Item #1985857] 

The Bar is Always Open    from   Andre


Merit Badge in Celebration
[Click For More Info]

Congratulations on completing your reading goals in  [Link To Item #monthlyreading]  for May 2018 *^*Bookopen*^*! 

~Minja


By Apondia


I do remember other years when we watched the ball drop in New York City on TV. And I remember years when we called it quits about 9 or 10 p.m. Just turned in for the night.

This year I'll be surprised if we make it past 8. As for today I was up by 4 a.m. Put the dogs out, filled the corn stove with corn, fed the dogs and ate breakfast then settled in to read until 7. After that I cleaned the chimney of the corn stove in the basement that is not presently running. We will need to start it up if the weather goes to snow again. It is supposed to be rain mixed with snow all afternoon so the temperature will probably drop into the low 30's. I took feed out to the bird feeder so the outside birds can celebrate the holiday with corn and seeds.

The neighborhood is quiet. There were deep deer hoof prints molded into the soggy earth beneath the bird feeder. They come to the feeder and lick off corn in the evenings.

Between 8 and 9 a.m. the dogs and I were investigating the outdoors as we walked off some of the doggy energy that shows up every morning. It has been easier for me, since we took in a new rescue dog in October, to walk the dogs individually. That is my way of giving them some one-on-one attention. It also lengthens the time I spend walking, which is great.

I made fudge and peach dump cake Friday morning as our weekend treat. I may make a pumpkin pie and a cheesecake tomorrow morning. All that cooking will last at least a week or more especially for the fudge. I made fantasy fudge for the first time in 30 years, then took it to family Christmas. Friday, I made a batch just for us.

Remember that we live in a rural area. Even though we do have neighbors across the road and to the north side of our property no one is very close. We spend time watching from the living room for wildlife movement. It is normal to see small herds of deer eating in the hay field on the east side of the house or flocks of turkey. Once in a while there will be a hawk chasing birds, who dare to feed at the feeder. Most of the geese have moved south somewhere for the winter although sometimes there is a stray pair that fly over headed for the beaver dam.

I actually don't remember any New Year parties. So, for us the little New Year's child just quietly moves in at 12p.m. each year and waves Hi, when we get up in the morning of January 1. Although this seems boring to some it is a blessing of peace and quiet to us.




Happy New Year. Party On!
*Paperlantern*

© Copyright 2023 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1061640-Welcome-2024