*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1061753-Time-Its-Passages-and-Appreciation
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1061753 added January 2, 2024 at 1:04pm
Restrictions: None
Time: Its Passages and Appreciation
Prompt:
What makes you appreciate the passage of time? Tell us about an accomplishment, event, or realization in 2023 that sparked a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself or others.


------------

Appreciate time? That man-made measure of counting the days and weeks and months and years? I guess some measure of time was needed at one point in the history of mankind because we would all keep our time in our own very special ways. For example, I usually keep time according to what happened in my life as in, "It was after the time I graduated...that..." or "The year we visited Paris..." or "Before the time when my older son or younger son was born..." Go and explain that to someone who doesn't know my life!

My personal biases aside, appreciating the passage of time means leading a fulfilling and meaningful life, as time is a constant force that shapes our experiences, memories, and relationships. To appreciate time we first and foremost learn to live in the present moment without judgment. Did I say judgment? Look who's talking! Between us, I'm sick of my own judgments and do I live in the present moment? Nope, although I try very hard. Although I very well know that by immersing myself in the present, I can better appreciate the nuances of life, whether it's the beauty of nature, the warmth of a conversation, or the taste of a favorite meal.

On my plus side, I try not to anticipate the future too much. Never mind the advice of the stoics that we should anticipate the worst, so whatever happens we won't fall apart. Also, not dwelling on the past is on their agenda, too. How can I not? I've lived so many decades. Should I throw all of those years and good and bad times out the window, too?

I do agree with the reflection and gratitude advice; however, it is the product of religions and not the stoics. Please, don't think that I don't like the stoics. Seneca is my favorite, not to mention Marcus Aurelius and Epictetus and others. In 2023, re-reading them helped me stand on my own two feet greatly. Coming back to reflection and gratitude, whether through journaling or quiet contemplation, acknowledging the passage of time can lead to a deeper appreciation for the journey we've traveled and the lessons learned along the way.

I don't do setting and achieving goals that many are so fond of. Well, let's say I used to do that and if I didn't live up my expectations, I ended up beating myself real badly. At the end, I learned to say 'maybe I'll work towards this and that' and that loose determination worked better for my needling psyche.

Anyhow, I don't do goals anymore, except for the daily ones, which I write down on a piece of paper and put it on the fridge's door. Anyone who watches me secretly may think I'm hungry all the time for the many trips I do to the kitchen just to stare at the fridge's door. Well, anything that works!

Whatever else that works for appreciating time--such as embracing change, connecting with loved ones, and cultivating hobbies and passions--I do all that to some degree because I need to prevent burnout and help myself with my overall well-being. I think what I do, in general, helps me in to appreciate time not as a mere measurement but a source of richness and meaning in my life. After all, all those years I've lived should mean something, at least to me, shouldn't it?


.

© Copyright 2024 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1061753-Time-Its-Passages-and-Appreciation