*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1063365-War-on-the-LGBTQ-Continues
Rated: 13+ · Book · News · #2306809
here's where I will occasionally post my more political writing
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1063365 added February 3, 2024 at 5:15am
Restrictions: None
War on the LGBTQ Continues



The GOP war on the LGBTQ community continues unabated

The republican rhetoric suggests that if the win the election (president) they will take action against the LGBTQ community including bans on LGBTQ people from serving in the government or military, authorizing discrimination against the LGBTQ community if it violates someone’s religious views, enacting a nation-wide standard regarding public access to bathrooms in public facilities, enacting a nation-wide ban on gender-affirming care for minors, and banning trans woman from participating in women’s sports, and asking the SC to let States once again legistlate same sex marriage and gay rights, and efforts to legally make trans status disappear by eneacting federal law recognizing only two genders assigned at birth, outlwing changing gender identication, outlawing gender affirming care and banning trans people from secret government positions including the military.

. BING AI chatbot and BARD provide some answers (below) and I have included some media accounts as well.

Binge’s answer

There has been a surge of anti-LGBTQ legislation in many states across the US, especially targeting transgender youth. According to the Human Rights Campaign1, some of the bills that have passed or are advancing in Texas, Florida and Utah are:

Texas: The state legislature passed a bill that bans puberty blockers and hormone therapy for transgender kids2. It also passed a bill that restricts the college sports teams that transgender students can join2. Another bill that expands the definition of sexual conduct to include some drag shows also passed2.
Florida: The governor signed a bill that bans classroom discussion about sexual orientation or gender identity in kindergarten through third grade3. This is known as the “Don’t Say Gay” bill, and critics say it will isolate and bully LGBTQ students3.
Utah: The governor signed a bill that prevents transgender girls and women from competing on female sports teams4. This is the first anti-LGBTQ bill signed into law in 20234.

These laws are part of a coordinated nationwide campaign by anti-LGBTQ organizations and elected officials, and they have serious negative impacts on the mental health and well-being of LGBTQ people, especially youth32514. The ACLU is tracking these attacks and working with its affiliates to support LGBTQ rights everywhere5.

Yes, Florida passed a law that restricts transgender bathroom access in public facilities12. The law, known as the Safety in Private Spaces Act, took effect on July 1, 20232. It makes it a misdemeanor trespassing offense for someone to use restrooms or locker rooms that don’t align with their sex assigned at birth1. It applies to publicly-owned facilities in educational buildings, government buildings, correctional facilities and all school changing facilities2. The law also requires local school districts to craft code of conduct rules to discipline students who violate the law1.

The law has been widely criticized by LGBTQ+ advocacy groups, who say it will bar transgender people from using facilities in line with their gender identity and expose them to harassment and discrimination123. The ACLU has vowed to challenge the law in court and protect the rights of transgender Floridians3.

I could not find any information on whether anyone has been prosecuted under the law, but it is possible that some cases may arise in the future. The law allows the Attorney General to bring a formal complaint against any entity that willfully violates the law, starting from July 1, 20242.

Yes, there are other states that have passed laws that restrict transgender people’s access to bathrooms or facilities according to their gender identity. According to the Movement Advancement Project1, a total of 10 states have such laws as of January 2024. They are:

Alabama: Bans transgender students from using bathrooms and facilities consistent with their gender identity in K-12 schools1.
Idaho: Bans transgender people from using bathrooms and facilities consistent with their gender identity in all schools, colleges, and government-owned buildings and spaces1.
Iowa: Bans transgender students from using bathrooms and facilities consistent with their gender identity in K-12 schools1.
Kansas: Bans transgender students from using bathrooms and facilities consistent with their gender identity in K-12 schools1.
Mississippi: Bans transgender students from using bathrooms and facilities consistent with their gender identity in K-12 schools1.
North Dakota: Bans transgender students from using bathrooms and facilities consistent with their gender identity in K-12 schools1.
Oklahoma: Bans transgender students from using bathrooms and facilities consistent with their gender identity in K-12 schools and at least some government-owned buildings1.
South Carolina: Bans transgender students from using bathrooms and facilities consistent with their gender identity in K-12 schools1.
Tennessee: Bans transgender students from using bathrooms and facilities consistent with their gender identity in K-12 schools1.
West Virginia: Bans transgender students from using bathrooms and facilities consistent with their gender identity in K-12 schools1.

These laws are part of a coordinated nationwide campaign by anti-LGBTQ organizations and elected officials, and they have serious negative impacts on the mental health and well-being of LGBTQ people, especially youth1234. The ACLU is tracking these attacks and working with its affiliates to support LGBTQ rights everywhere3.

There are different reasons why some people oppose transgender bathroom access, but some of the common ones are:

Disgust: Some people feel a strong sense of disgust or repulsion towards transgender people or anything that challenges their binary view of gender1. Disgust can influence moral judgments and make people more likely to reject or dehumanize those who are different from them1.
Fear: Some people fear that allowing transgender people to use the bathrooms of their choice will endanger the safety or privacy of cisgender people, especially women and children23. They may believe that transgender people are predators or that cisgender people will be exposed to unwanted sexual advances or harassment in the bathrooms23.
Ignorance: Some people are ignorant or misinformed about transgender people and their experiences. They may not understand what it means to be transgender, how gender identity differs from biological sex, or how transgender people face discrimination and violence in society45. They may also rely on stereotypes or myths about transgender people that are not based on facts or evidence45.

These reasons are not justified or supported by scientific research or human rights principles. Studies have shown that transgender people are not a threat to cisgender people in bathrooms, and that denying them access to the bathrooms of their choice harms their physical and mental health45. Transgender people have the right to use the bathrooms that match their gender identity, and doing so does not infringe on the rights of others45.

The scientific evidence on transgender bathroom access shows that:

There is no link between allowing transgender people to use the bathrooms of their choice and the safety or privacy of cisgender people123. Studies have found that transgender-inclusive policies do not increase the risk of sexual assault, harassment, or voyeurism in public facilities123.
There is a significant link between restricting transgender people’s access to the bathrooms of their gender identity and the harm to their physical and mental health4 . Studies have found that transgender people who face bathroom discrimination are more likely to experience urinary tract infections, kidney problems, dehydration, anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts, and sexual assault4 .

Therefore, the scientific evidence supports the human rights of transgender people to use the bathrooms that match their gender identity, and refutes the transphobic arguments that are based on fear, disgust, or ignorance4 .

There are many examples of right-wing preachers who have made anti-LGBTQ comments, including calling for the execution of the LGBTQ community. Here are some of them:

Steven Anderson: He is the pastor of Faithful Word Baptist Church in Arizona, and he has repeatedly called for the death of LGBTQ people, saying they are “abominations” and “pedophiles” who spread diseases1. He also praised the 2016 Orlando nightclub shooting that killed 49 people, most of whom were LGBTQ1.
Kevin Swanson: He is the pastor of Reformation Church in Colorado, and he has advocated for the death penalty for homosexuality, saying it is a “biblical law” and a "covenantal requirement"2. He also blamed the 2012 Sandy Hook shooting that killed 26 people, including 20 children, on the acceptance of LGBTQ rights2.
Charles Worley: He is the pastor of Providence Road Baptist Church in North Carolina, and he has proposed to put LGBTQ people in an electrified fence and drop food over them until they die out3. He also said that President Barack Obama is a “baby killer” and a “homosexual lover” who should be impeached3.
Pat Robertson: He is the founder of the Christian Broadcasting Network and the host of The 700 Club, and he has made numerous anti-LGBTQ statements, such as saying that homosexuality is a “perversion” and a “sin” that leads to bestiality, pedophilia, and polygamy. He also blamed the 2010 Haiti earthquake that killed over 200,000 people on a “pact with the devil” made by Haitians to gain independence from France.

These are just some of the examples of the hateful and harmful rhetoric that some right-wing preachers have used against the LGBTQ community. Such rhetoric can incite violence, discrimination, and oppression against LGBTQ people, and it contradicts the principles of human dignity and equality.

President Trump on LGBTQ Issues

President Trump has been widely criticized for his views and policies on LGBTQ rights, which have been seen as hostile, regressive, and harmful by many LGBTQ advocates and organizations. Some of the actions he has taken or supported include:

Banning transgender people from serving openly in the military12.
Rolling back protections for transgender students in schools34.
Pushing for exemptions that would allow health care providers, employers, and adoption agencies to discriminate against LGBTQ people on religious grounds56.
Cutting funding for HIV/AIDS research and prevention programs78.
Opposing the Equality Act, a bill that would prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity in various sectors910.
Voting against a resolution condemning the use of the death penalty for same-sex acts in some countries1112.

If Trump were to run for a second term in 2024, he would likely continue to pursue these anti-LGBTQ policies and appoint judges and officials who share his views. He would also face strong opposition from LGBTQ activists and allies, who have mobilized to resist his attacks and advance LGBTQ rights at the state and local levels.

Nicki Haley on LGBTQ RIghts - only a little better than Trumps's

Nikki Haley is a former governor of South Carolina and a former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, who is considered a potential Republican presidential candidate in 2024. She has a mixed record on LGBTQ rights, which has evolved over time. Some of the positions she has taken or expressed include:

Opposing same-sex marriage and defending South Carolina’s ban on it1314.
Opposing a transphobic bathroom bill in South Carolina, saying it was unnecessary and divisive1516.
Supporting the rights of transgender people to serve in the military, saying they should not be "singled out"1718.
Voting for a resolution condemning the use of the death penalty for same-sex acts in some countries1920.
Disputing that she opposes same-sex marriage, saying she supports "freedom"2122.
Opposing transgender participation in women’s sports and transgender access to women’s locker rooms2324.

If Haley were to run for president in 2024, she would likely face criticism from both sides of the political spectrum on LGBTQ issues. She would have to balance her appeal to the conservative base of the Republican Party, which is largely anti-LGBTQ, with her attempt to reach out to moderate and independent voters, who are more supportive of LGBTQ rights.

Biden on LGBTQ Rights

President Biden has been a vocal and consistent supporter of LGBTQ rights, both as a senator, a vice president, and a president. He has been praised by LGBTQ advocates and organizations for his views and policies on LGBTQ issues, which have been seen as progressive, inclusive, and beneficial by many LGBTQ people. Some of the actions he has taken or promised include:

Reversing the ban on transgender people serving openly in the military .
Restoring and expanding protections for transgender students in schools .
Issuing an executive order to prevent and combat discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity in various sectors .
Increasing funding for HIV/AIDS research and prevention programs .
Supporting the Equality Act, a bill that would prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity in various sectors .
Issuing an executive order to advance the human rights of LGBTQI+ people around the world .

If Biden were to run for a second term in 2024, he would likely continue to pursue these pro-LGBTQ policies and appoint judges and officials who share his views. He would also face challenges from anti-LGBTQ forces, who have been trying to undermine his actions and enact discriminatory laws at the state and local levels.

Bard’s answer




there has been a lot of proposed and passed anti-LGBTQ legislation recently. Please list them particualary in Texas, Florida and Utah

You're right, there has been a surge of anti-LGBTQ legislation in the United States recently, with Florida, Texas, and Utah being some of the most active states. Here are some examples:

Florida:

"Don't Say Gay" law (Parental Rights in Education Act): Prohibits classroom instruction on sexual orientation or gender identity from kindergarten to grade 3, and in a way that is not "age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate" in any grade. This law has been widely criticized for marginalizing LGBTQ students and creating a hostile school environment.

Opens in a new windowpen.org

Florida Don't Say Gay law protest

Transgender athlete ban: Bans transgender girls and women from competing on female sports teams in public high schools and colleges. This law has been condemned by LGBTQ rights groups and athletes as discriminatory and harmful.

Texas:

"Save Chick-fil-A" law (Freedom of Speech in Religious Institutions Act): Allows faith-based organizations to deny services to LGBTQ people based on their religious beliefs. This law has been challenged in court by LGBTQ rights groups.

Opens in a new windowtxvalues.org

Texas Save ChickfilA law protest

Anti-trans healthcare bills: Several bills have been proposed or passed in Texas that would restrict access to gender-affirming healthcare for transgender youth. These bills have been met with fierce opposition from medical professionals and LGBTQ rights groups.

Utah:

"Bathroom bill" (School Facility Privacy Act): Requires individuals to use restrooms corresponding to their sex assigned at birth in public schools and government buildings. This law has been criticized for discriminating against transgender people.
"Don't Say Gay" bill: A bill similar to Florida's "Don't Say Gay" law has been proposed in Utah, but it has not yet been passed.

These are just a few examples of the many anti-LGBTQ bills that have been introduced or passed in recent years. These laws have a negative impact on the lives of LGBTQ people and their families, and they create a climate of fear and discrimination.

It is important to note that there is also opposition to these laws, and many people are working to protect the rights of LGBTQ people. LGBTQ rights groups, such as the Human Rights Campaign and GLAAD, are fighting these laws in court and advocating for pro-LGBTQ legislation. Additionally, many businesses and organizations have spoken out against anti-LGBTQ discrimination.

The fight for LGBTQ rights is ongoing, and it is important to stay informed and engaged in order to make progress towards equality.

Here are some additional resources that you may find helpful:

The Human Rights Campaign: https://www.hrc.org/
GLAAD: https://www.glaad.org/
The Trevor Project: https://www.thetrevorproject.org/



Utah legislature advances an extreme trans bathroom ban

Story by Daniel Villarreal • 5h

Utah legislature advances an extreme trans bathroom ban© Provided by LGBTQ Nation

On Friday, Utah’s state House of Representatives distinguished itself by becoming the country’s first legislative body to pass an anti-trans bill in 2024.

It also happens to be dangerously extreme, by seeking to make it a criminal offense for people to use a bathroom in a public building that doesn’t correspond with the gender on their birth certificate. According to Erin Reed, who tracks anti-trans legislation nationwide, the law raises the prospect of people forced to “potentially undergo a genital examination if under criminal investigation for being in the bathroom.” People determined under the law to have used the wrong bathroom inside public spaces, from colleges to Salt Lake City’s airport, could be sent to jail for up to 6 months.

Related:

Utah dad’s passionate defense of his elementary-age trans daughter is everything

His little girl has “nothing to do with any of this weird stuff” being spouted by those who should be protecting her.

The bill, which would need to pass the state’s Senate and be approved by the governor to become law, is so extreme that Reed and others have said it could even ensnare cisgender people and subject them to prosecution if someone thinks they’re peeing in the wrong place.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter to stay ahead of the latest LGBTQ+ political news and insights.

As Chris Geidner writes at Law Dork, “It is extreme legislation that explicitly retrofits the crimes of voyeurism and criminal trespass in the state to allow for the prosecution of many transgender people for using the right bathroom.”

When pressed on the House floor, the bill’s sponsor could not point to a single example of inappropriate behavior by a trans person in an Utah bathroom. But members of the Utah House—which meets for only 45 days a year and just started its 2024 session on Tuesday—nonetheless voted 57 to 17 to police bathrooms.

That the obviously transphobic and culture war catering move was a top priority says a lot about the leadership of my home state, which is on its way to becoming an uninhabitable toxic wasteland unless its politicians can stop the Great Salt Lake from drying up. Historically, Utah’s Republican majority has claimed to want to get government off your back—except for when it wants to look down your pants. Indeed, Utah legislators have long seemed to have a rather prurient interest in residents’ private lives and private parts.

Take the not-so-long-ago time Utah installed a “porn czar” in its attorney general’s office. In 2001, the state hired an unmarried Mormon virgin to police the state for smut and combat “cyber-sex.” The Washington Post reported that in her first months on the job, the bureaucrat was called upon to intercept a Victoria’s Secret catalog from a family mailbox, bar nude mannequin displays in store windows, and purge local libraries of R-rated movies. In 2018, the state legislature overturned the law creating the post. “The whole thing was a public-relations nightmare and kind of made Utah the laughingstock of the nation,” Sen. Todd Weiler, a Republican cosponsor of the rollback bill, told the Salt Lake Tribune.

The bathroom bill is, of course, far more intrusive, and would have far more harmful and repressive impacts than the porn czar ever did. But the drive for invasive legislation that could literally see local cops checking people’s genitalia overlaps with the lawmakers’ longstanding and unhealthy interest in what goes on behind closed doors.

Black said the bill aims to answer “The defining question of this decade, ‘What is a woman?'”

“Indeed, this bill only serves to codify that which is already indisputable but has sadly been weaponized by a radical political movement intent on rewriting the laws of nature to fit their twisted agenda,” Black said in a news release.

This article first appeared on Mother Jones. It has been republished with the publication’s permission.

While LGBTQ+ rights continue to gain traction across America, there are still those, including lawmakers, who aren’t in support. In Tennessee, a state representative is championing a bill through the Tennessee legislature to ban the display of Pride flags on state property. According to the rep, parents are interested in raising their kids with values “that were in existence at the time that our country was founded.”

The Republican State Rep. Gino Bulso first introduced House Bill 1605 in December 2023. It was interesting that amongst the values, Bulso did not include slavery, eradication of the indigenous population, and other values that existed when America was founded. Nonetheless, he believes families need values that existed during the nation’s founding years.

Continue reading

However, Bulso is not alone in his beliefs. Speaker of the U.S. House, Mike Johnson (R-LA), a Christian nationalist who believes that civic life and government should be based on the Bible. Bulso maintains that 18th-century values should guide Americans.

“Certainly, you know, 50 years ago, we had a consensus on what marriage is; we don’t have that anymore,” Bulso told WKRN in Nashville. “One hundred years ago, we had a consensus on sexual morality; I don’t think we have that anymore. So the values that I think most parents want their children exposed to are the ones that were in existence at the time that our country was founded.”

Utah House passes transgender bathroom ban© Provided by The Hill

Utah’s Republican-controlled House voted Friday to pass a sweeping proposal to keep transgender people out of restrooms and locker rooms that match their gender identity in taxpayer-funded buildings, sending the measure to the state’s majority GOP Senate for consideration just three days after the start of the session.

House Bill 257 aims to prohibit individuals from using gender-designated facilities that differ from their sex assigned at birth in government buildings, correctional facilities and domestic violence shelters unless they have undergone a transition-related surgery and legally amended the sex on their birth certificate.

The proposal would require new government buildings to include single-occupant restrooms and changing rooms while existing ones must be studied to assess “the feasibility of retrofitting or remodeling” facilities to improve privacy.

Utah House lawmakers voted 52-17 on Friday to pass the bill. Three Republicans joined all Democrats in voting against it.

The bill, if passed, would make Utah the third state to adopt explicit restrictions on transgender bathroom use in buildings other than schools. A Florida law passed last year prevents transgender people from using facilities consistent with their gender identity in all government-owned buildings, and a North Dakota law restricts bathroom use in correctional facilities.

As of January 18, GOP lawmakers have introduced 285 anti-LGBTQ bills, with a focus on restricting transgender rights and LGBTQ visibility.

The bills seek to ban drag performances, limit gender-affirming health care, and remove LGBTQ content from school libraries.

Most bills target the transgender community, aiming to redefine transgender existence in law or restrict self-identification and access to services.

“Transgender people across the country are enduring a historic and dangerous effort to control our bodies and our lives, fueled by extremist politics with the goal of erasing us from public life,” attorney Harper Seldin said.

“Taken together, these proposals are a blatant effort to deny transgender people the freedom to be ourselves at school, at work, and the support of the medical care many of us need to live.”

“In South Carolina, one bill would ban Medicaid coverage for gender affirming care up to the age of 26, expanding restrictions on care far into the adult age range,” transgender advocate Erin Reed said.

At least 200 bills focus on educational matters, while over 120 seek to restrict gender-affirming health care for minors.

Legal challenges have arisen from families and doctors due to restrictions on gender-affirming care.

The Human Rights Campaign anticipates a record number of anti-LGBTQ legislation in the upcoming state legislative sessions, including bills that deny legal recognition of transgender people and restrict LGBTQ visibility.

Related video: LGBTQ Rights Groups Want the UN to Investigate Texas (Dailymotion)

ithin the first week of Florida’s legislative session, which commenced recently, Republican lawmakers introduced several bills specifically targeting LGBTQ individuals, exceeding the count of days in the new year.

Some of the bills introduced in Florida during this legislative session are notably extreme. These include proposals to alter the state’s definition of sex and criminalize “lewd or lascivious grooming.” These measures stand out as among the most stringent of the hundreds filed in state legislatures nationwide.

Another bill suggests preventing government employees from being obligated to use pronouns requested by their colleagues. Additionally, a proposal aimed at shielding children from “harmful material” online. However, the vagueness of the term “harmful material” raises concerns among advocates, as it could potentially encompass LGBTQ content.

In a further development, a proposal from Republican state Sen. Jason Brodeur seeks to categorize almost all published accusations of anti-LGBTQ bias as “defamation per se.” This bill would prevent journalists from defending such accusations by referencing the subject’s “Constitutionally protected religious expression or beliefs” or scientific beliefs. Those liable in successful lawsuits under this proposal could face damages of at least $35,000.

ALSO READ: 5 Countries with Strict Anti-LGBTQ+ Laws

“Florida has, for years, been an innovator of new assaults on freedom and equality, and this year’s slate of bills is no different,” remarked Brandon Wolf, a spokesperson for LGBTQ advocacy group the Human Rights Campaign, who is also a survivor of the Orlando, Florida, Pulse nightclub mass shooting.

Related video: LGBTQ Rights Groups Want the UN to Investigate Texas (Dailymotion)

He added, “This session, we’ll see escalating attacks on education, medical freedom, and the fundamental right of transgender people to exist as their authentic selves.” A proposed bill by Republican Rep. Dean Black mandates Floridians to sign an affidavit aligning their IDs with the sex on their original birth certificate.

Transgender individuals would be compelled to surrender existing IDs displaying their gender identity and would be unable to obtain such identification in the future. This measure poses significant hurdles for transgender individuals, impacting their access to identification reflecting their authentic gender identity.

POLL — Should Public Schools Include Critical Race Theory and Sex Education in Their Curriculum?

Black’s bill mandates health insurance policies covering transition-related procedures, including “Treatment to detransition.” The proposed legislation requires coverage of conversion therapy in health insurance policies. Specifically, it calls for mental health services to address a person’s perception that their sex is inconsistent with their sex assigned at birth, affirming their birth sex.

The proposed bill further mandates any school district or state agency collecting vital statistics for anti-discrimination compliance or data purposes to identify the birth sex of individuals in the dataset. This provision could potentially limit data collection on transgender people.

ALSO READ: ACLU Records Rise in LGBTQ Legislation in 2023

The LGBTQ society has become a regular fixture in the modern day. But according to The American Civil Liberties Union, they have been getting a lot of legal bills. Backed into a corner, they now speak up, hopeful for public sympathy, which they used to get — until now.

This year, state legislators passed a record-breaking number of laws, and they all targeted LGBTQ privileges in the U.S. The ACLU said it noticed at least 508 bills impacting the community in 2023.

It also says that 84 of these bills are now laws. The rise in legislation clashed with an increase in threats of violence against the LGBTQ community.

The federal security agencies are sounding the alarm. However, activists say that despite the record-breaking wave of anti-LGBTQ bills, other lawmakers have stepped up to combat such efforts.

ALSO READ: 5 Countries with Strict Anti-LGBTQ+ Laws

“We’ve also witnessed incredible moments of strength in states and communities across the country who have made sure this political assault does not go unnoticed or is made any easier for politicians opposed to our very existence,” said Gillian Branstetter, Communications Strategist at the ACLU, in a statement to ABC News.

The vast majority of legislation passed across the country has impacted gender-affirming care for minors, blocking trans youth from accessing treatments in some cases, including puberty blockers, hormone therapy, and surgeries.

Related video: Advocates tracking several bills they call 'anti-LGBTQ' (WKRN Nashville)

It's coming at us hard and fast this year,




POLL — Should Laws Be Enacted To Protect LGBTQ+ Individuals From Workplace Discrimination?

These laws do not apply to such treatments in cases where the subject is a cisgender or intersex youth. The majority of those who support the law are against gender transitioning. They believe that it is harmful to youth and young adults.

The more lenient ones want patients to wait until they are older to make such decisions. Georgia Governor Brian Kemp is one such man. In March 2023, he signed a bill in his state banning doctors from starting hormone therapy for transgender youth under the age of 18. All “to ensure we protect the health and wellbeing of Georgia’s children.”

In September, a judge let the state enforce the ban after it faced a lawsuit. But there’s more where that came from.

At least 14 laws impacting the LGBTQ community are currently in the middle of legal battles. And if what Sarah Kate Ellis, president and CEO of LGBTQ media advocacy group GLAAD, said is true, it is just the beginning.

Ellis says, “The silver lining in this year of challenge is how LGBTQ people and our allies showed up for our community and everyone’s fundamental freedoms.”

Aside from Georgia, other states considered hostile towards the LGBTQ include Ohio and Wisconsin. Fortunately, several states have passed protection laws for the LGBTQ community. They include Minnesota, Michigan, New York, and California.

The End



© Copyright 2024 JCosmos (UN: jcosmos at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
JCosmos has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1063365-War-on-the-LGBTQ-Continues