*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064059-The-Merits-of-Reading
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1064059 added February 12, 2024 at 10:14am
Restrictions: None
The Merits of Reading
Prompt: Reading
“I have never known any distress that an hour’s reading did not relieve.”
Montesquieu
How does reading affect you?


---------------

I think reading goes far beyond a passion. For the very young, it introduces them to the world that is not confined only to the immediate family, friends, and experiences.

I learned how to read at a very young age. As was told to me, I was two months short of being four years old when I read a full sentence. My mother says I learned the letters first by asking about them to my grandmother who showed me what they were and the sounds their connections made.

There's a lot more to this story but let me say, I haven't stopped reading, since. I guess I got hooked on the diverse topics, genres, and styles. My reading made me love words and that's probably why I studied, much later, linguistics and lit.

I have learned so much from reading. If I weren't reading, I wouldn't feel empathy for both sides of an issue. Take the World Wars, for example. I don't think I'd know about what both sides of the camps went through and how innocent people, even those considered "on the enemy side," were caught up in a terrible trap.

Then, during my personal bad times, reading served as a therapist, helping me detach from the issues that bothered me. To this day, reading still calms me down and heals. Immersing myself in a captivating story or exploring a fascinating topic provides an opportunity to detach from the disturbing or the bland areas of life and, hopefully, it entertains and educates, too.

I don't know this for sure, but it is also claimed by people who work on human psyches that reading improves focus and concentration. That may very well be true because when I get immersed in a story or an interesting subject, even the most disturbing thing or memory fades away.

Love of reading has been a lifelong companion for me, as it is a transformative experience, influencing not only what I learn but also my emotions, social interactions, and overall well-being.


.

© Copyright 2024 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064059-The-Merits-of-Reading