*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1065301-A-3-The-Golden-Key
Rated: E · Book · Activity · #2313324
My Aventures in Wonderland
#1065301 added March 1, 2024 at 4:48am
Restrictions: None
A. 3. "The Golden Key"
"The Golden Key" - You've come across a key that unlocks anything. Write a poem (<40 Lines) or a short story (<500 words)about this most fascinating item in your possession.



The Golden Key


Word count: 421


         I had promised myself for months, no...sorry, that's a lie, for years, that I would go through and clean the shed. The junk had piled high enough not to let anyone in unless they possessed the talent of shifting its contents just enough to allow passage. That fateful day, yesterday, finally came, bringing with it my eviction notice from Pioneer Pines, my mobile home park, and the foreclosure notice on my mobile home. It was time to pack and make good on one of my many promises.

          I opened the shed door and squeezed my way inside to the narrow path I had left on my last visit when I had dumped a small jewelry box thrown into my yard. The hauling company would arrive in four hours, which didn't leave me a lot of time for nostalgic memories. I made a rule for myself; if I hadn't looked at it or touched it in the past two years, it was gone.

         Two hours went by, and I had filled two of the four large boxes left by the hauling company. I returned to the shed, swallowing the last of my cold iced tea. I moved some old clothes and found the small jewelry box. I opened it, and an odd-looking gold key was hidden under a note. Heed how you use this gift. It will either help you or hinder you.

          Yeah, right! I thought, who in their right mind would throw something valuable into somebody's yard! Without thinking, I shoved it into my pocket and continued throwing things out.

         I finally made it to the last few items in the shed. I noticed a small, locked metal box. I guess it had been there a long time because I couldn't remember seeing it before. Out of curiosity I kept the metal box, and when I had finished cleaning out the shed, I sat down on the porch with another glass of iced tea and studied the box. I laughed at myself as I withdrew the weird key from my jeans pocket.

         "Oh what the hell," I mumbled. I inserted the key into the box's lock and turned it. The lock clicked and the box opened. It was full of money. One hundred thousand dollars.

         Yes I kept it and saved my home. I have since learned the meaning of the note.


© Copyright 2024 Chrys O'Shea (UN: kb6vas at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Chrys O'Shea has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1065301-A-3-The-Golden-Key