*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1067359-Door--1---The-Road-Less-Traveled---The-Foaling---NO
Rated: 18+ · Book · Activity · #2316916
House of Mormont
#1067359 added April 3, 2024 at 4:39am
Restrictions: None
Door # 1 - The Road Less Traveled - The Foaling - NO
Individual Challenge


Prompt


The Road Less Traveled -
The Foaling


Sierra Gates had it all. Then it was taken away. She was left with no dreams, no friends, and no father. Her only support system, she thought, was her wheelchair.

Rebecca sat next to Sierra's bed, waiting for Dr. Reynolds to arrive with the results of the encephalograms and the MRI. Silence cloaked the dimly lit room like a dark cloud. Allowing the constant beeping of the heart monitor and the rhythmic hiccup-swoosh of the ventilator to control what life was left.

Occasionally, a nurse would enter the room, draw a vile or two of blood, replace an I.V. bag of fluid, and hastily scribble notes in a chart. Without fail, she would glance first at Sierra, smile a slight smile and leave the room. She never offered any conversation or answers, just that smile... that damn pathetic smile. Rebecca looked over at her brother, Seth. Cocking her head to her left shoulder, she wondered what he could be thinking or feeling...if anything.

Rebecca and Seth jerked awake when a sudden rush of fresh, cool air filled the room, following the soft, subtle click of its door handle. Dr. Reynolds entered the room. The squeaking of his rubber soles against the tile floors upset the poetic rhythm of the vent. Rebecca jumped up and grabbed his left sleeve. She tried desperately to read the expression on his face, but it was no use. She could not decipher his stoic look.

"Mrs Gates, the grams indicate healthy brain activity." Rebecca sighed with relief and released his arm.

"We are going to back off the Lorazepam and the midazolam so we can wean her off the vent." Dr Reynolds momentarily looked away and took a deep breath.

"But...I am sorry...the MRI indicates that her spinal cord is severed. I am afraid she will never walk again."

Rebecca's hands flew up and covered her mouth to prevent the escape of any sound. Seth rushed and grabbed her before her knees could buckle beneath her.


* * * *



"Oh good, you're home!" Rebecca bemoaned.

"Why...what's the matter?" Seth was almost afraid of what his sister would say, but he knew it had much to do with Sierra.

Rebecca turned her back and began. "Seth...I don't know what to do. Sierra yells, screams, and demands all day. If that doesn't work, she throws and breaks whatever she can get her hands on."

"I'll talk to her after supper. Six months is long enough, and I have an idea that just might work." Seth slapped his hand against the mahogany table. Excuse me, I gotta make a phone call." Grabbing his cell, he went out on the front porch.

"Be prepared; she is now blaming everyone for her Dad's death and for her not being able to ride in the Rodeo."

© Copyright 2024 Chrys O'Shea (UN: kb6vas at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Chrys O'Shea has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1067359-Door--1---The-Road-Less-Traveled---The-Foaling---NO