*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1067469-Road-Less-Traveled
Rated: 18+ · Book · Activity · #2316916
House of Mormont
#1067469 added April 3, 2024 at 11:00pm
Restrictions: None
Road Less Traveled
Road Less Traveled

Based on the song "Road Less Traveled"
by Lauren Alaina


Word count = 632


         The small, brass shop bell jingled as Zoie pushed the door open. Before making her way to her usual small table, She stopped, closed her eyes, and inhaled the mouthwatering aroma of the freshly baked donuts, cookies, and cakes. Schmidt's Bakery was across the street from the high school, and it was Zoie's first stop before and after school.

"Ah, it must be seven o'clock." Mister Schmidt stumbled over his thick German accent. He looked over the counter and winked, "You know, young lady, I would have to close shop if it weren't for you. Would you like your usual?"
Before Zoie could answer, Mr. Schmidt had shot out from the counter and placed three Cream Puffs and a large Snickerdoodle down in front of her.

Zoie dismissed his last comment as her thoughts turned towards school. It was Monday. She could hardly wait until the following Friday. That day of cheerleader tryouts and the first school dance of the year. Her date was set. Jason, her boyfriend, was to pick her up at eight.

While changing into her gym shorts, Zoie heard the girls snickering and joking. She turned just in time to see Angela snap some pictures of her with her cell. Angry, Zoeie rushed out, bumping into Miss Marks. Zoie's face was flushed and stained with tears. Miss Marks asked her what was wrong and Zoie sobbed out her story. Miss Marks, smiled empathetically and gave her a book on nutrition. "This helped me when I was your age. Read it."

Disappointed, Zoie thought, Perhaps Miss Marks is right. She decided to start reading right away. Feeling inspired, she waited for Jason to make his usual call to her at 10 o'clock.

It was lunchtime, and Jason hadn't called. Zoie was getting worried. She reached for her cell and called him.

"Jason? Hi how come you didn't call?"

"I've been busy."

"Oh, are we still going to the dance tonight? I've got to go to the Plaza after school. Can you take me?"

"Ah...Zoie... I am not taking you to the dance tonight."

"Why—Jason why?"

"Because of the pictures that are floating all around school."

"What Pictures."

"The ones of you undressing in the gym. The ones that show how fat you really are. Sorry—I gotta go."

The phone went dead, and Zoie burst into tears. Miss Marks found her sobbing and sent her to the nurse's office. There she viewed the photos and told how Jason had dumped her. This trauma had caused her great anguish and suicidal thoughts.

That night, Zoie decided to turn her life around and take the road less traveled. She decided that she was the one who mattered. She began by deciding to eat only three nutritious meals a day. Her newly acquired self-esteem paid dividends, and she had stopped gaining weight. While she wasn't gaining weight, she wasn't losing it either.

Zoie had good days and she had bad days. It was a constant battle. During one of her low moments, she called Jason and begged him to take her back. Jason rebuffed her and told her that he wasn't into "Beached Whales," but he may reconsider if she lost fifty pounds.

Zoie didn't what to do. Her friend Margret told her about a program called Nutri-system. They taught Zoie about nutrition, counting calories, and control. Zoie began to shed her weight easily and sensibly.

Six months later Zoie had lost sixty pounds. Coming out of The La Petite dress shop, Zoie ran into Jason.

"Zoie...Zoie...Is that you?" Jason stammered. "Wow! You look great! Would you like to go to the Christmas Prom this Friday?"

"Sorry, Jason—I have other plans." Zoie smiled, flicked her hair back, and sashayed away.

© Copyright 2024 Chrys O'Shea (UN: kb6vas at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Chrys O'Shea has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1067469-Road-Less-Traveled