*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1067497-Two-Weeks-In-Bangkok
by Sum1
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#1067497 added April 3, 2024 at 1:30pm
Restrictions: None
Two Weeks In Bangkok
Two Weeks In Bangkok


         The class I delivered to the Department Of State in Bangkok went quite well.  My only trepidation about the whole delivery was that I would be delivering one portion of the class for the first time.  Especially since I didn't 'qualify' to deliver that class the traditional way.  A policy has been set that "To qualify on a new course, the person qualifying must sit in the class when it is being delivered.  Once that is done, a Team Teach with a qualified instructor must be done."  None of that happened.  I had the equipment shipped to my house in December and spent a week studying the course Powerpoints, and performing every lab available for the course.  Fast forward to April, and you can understand my angst.  Especially once I learned that the State Department is doing far more with this small device than the course is written for.  I became a mushroom, learning on the fly, and trying to remain one step ahead of them.  I was successful in some of it, not so successful in others.  But it all seemed to go well with all attendees quite happy.

         I want to say a couple of other things about the class.  Most of the students were American Citizens working for the Embassy.  There were 12 students in class, only three were from Bangkok.  The rest were from Embassies in Kathmandu, Manila, New Delhi, Frankfurt Germany, and Springfield Va.  Speaking of Frankfurt Germany, I may be going there for a week in late August, as well as two weeks in January/February.  Plus, my Embassy contact told me that they are trying to ramp up their training since they are hiring a lot of new people, some with no RF background whatsoever.  They have a technical/electronic background, but nothing to do with RF.  I guess most have a bit of an IT background.  If you are looking for a job, and have some kind of electrical/electronic background, you might consider applying.

         I didn't get out much while there, mainly because it was pretty hot, and the Bangkok traffic.  Besides, I discovered that the Conrad Hilton has an executive lounge that serves an awesome breakfast (buffet), as well as a small lunch and dinner buffet.  With food that good, and free to boot, I found it hard to do much in the evenings. The hotel does have 5 nice restaurants that serve excellent food.  I found I didn't like going to the Bar/ Lounge on the first floor though.  The music was incredibly loud, and the band's drummer seemed to think that he was the most important member of the group, not the singer.  He was very loud, at times drowning out the singer's voice.  I just couldn't deal with that.

         I did get out on the weekend, and that was a mistake I'm afraid.  I bought a few small items, and at one of the stalls my debit card was compromised.  I woke Sunday morning with a text from my bank about a Fraud Alert.  And again on Wednesday.  The bank locked my card so it couldn't be used, I didn't even lose a penny as a result of this.  It also meant I couldn't use the card myself though.  I didn't mind, I'd rather have my money safe than compromised.  On Monday I went to my bank and received a new card.  My old card was shredded by the bank.  *Smile*  On Friday, my Embassy contact pulled money from his account and gave me 7000 Baht, about $220 American.  In exchange, I sent him enough to cover that, plus a little extra, via Paypal.  It all worked out.

         I did snap a lot of photos Sunday, emphasis on Snapped.  I'm love taking photos, but I could never be mistaken for being a photographer.  I have one below that I posted in a previous entry, and am keeping it here with this entry.  I did go out twice to dine, one was dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe, the other was a BBQ place that was very good.  Plus, when I returned from that Sunday outing, I had dinner at Polo Chicken, Thai style Fried Chicken smothered in Garlic!  Yummmmmm.



         We won't talk about me discovering I still can't walk on air.  A skinned forearm, bruised and sore right leg, and somehow I bruised a rib on my left side.  Minor stuff, all healed now.  That's it for an update.  Til next time, keep on writing, and care for those you love!


Jim

© Copyright 2024 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1067497-Two-Weeks-In-Bangkok