*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1068760-Celebrations
Rated: ASR · Book · Educational · #2316737
This is a blog written about the real Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
#1068760 added April 14, 2024 at 2:54pm
Restrictions: None
Celebrations
This weekend, I owe two blog entries. I missed last week because I was attending Conference. Because my people like long names, The Semi Annual General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. We celebrate this event every six months.

I got a comment on my entry for Easter requesting that I talk about how our religion celebrates this holiday. I'm going to do one better and explain all the major celebrations in my church.

For Easter, we don't have much of a party. The closest thing to that would be the Easter breakfast on the Saturday before said holiday.

Instead, on Easter Sunday we have a special program. People wishing to attend gather for church like usual. There's speakers who focus on the importance of Jesus' resurrection. Then, after preparing for a month in advance, the young children, ages four to eleven sing a couple of songs.

Usually this is simple songs that are written about Jesus, the resurrection, or the Second Coming of Christ. There is a nice one that talks about looking for rainbows after rain. Unfortunately, there's a song where all the children in the choir shout "Hosanah!" In varying un harmonic keys. Then having shouted this Hebrew word they then continue singing the chorus "Blessed be the name of our Lord our God" in a near whisper.(This happens because all the children participate regardless of musical ability.)

After the children have finished their performance, a closing prayer called a Benediction is said. Everyone returns home to observe Easter in their own way. Whether that means egg hunts for children or just a nice family dinner.

In May and June, we celebrate mothers and fathers. In the US, we don't have any gender neutral parent's day. That said this applies only to the United States. I understand that in countries such as Japan, there is such a thing as Parents and Grand Parents Days. I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is now international. I am sure that members of the church in Japan probably have special meetings to celebrate Parents and Grand Parents Day.

May and June in the United States, where I live—sorry not trying to be offensive—are difficult months for persons without children.(Or adults who have parents that have passed away.)

This is the only two holidays where parents receive special recognition. The children stand and sing songs with lyrics like "mother I love you" and "I can't wait till daddy gets home". There are a couple of adult speakers. Then comes the uncomfortable part.

After the Benediction, the person conducting the meeting stands at the podium. They say, "all the mothers—or fathers depending on which holiday we're talking about—in the congregation please stand up."

Right on cue, all the people who have been lucky enough to procreate or adopt get to their feet. Then the adolescent members of the church bring them a gift. This is usually chocolate or a single flower—either cut or potted.

It's very hard for people over the age of 21 who haven't yet married or are unable to have kids during Mother's Day and Father's Day. Because people in the adult age range without children can feel less than their...successful cohorts. Anyways, maybe thats just me.

Christmas is a special time. The Sunday that is during or before is a lot like Easter. Only this time the children sing songs like "Away In a Manger" and "Jesus Was Once a Little Child". Some of the adults may also do a Christmas musical number, such as singing "Mary Did You Know".

If Christmas Eve or Day is not on a Sunday, it is up to the family or individual to observe it in their own way. As Christmas is the most important holiday of the year we also put out a special charity project. Vending machines with the phrase "#Light The World Giving Machines" are posted in major cities in the United States. At these locations, people can "buy" meals, clothes, shoes and other useful gifts for people in need. For a more detailed and accurate description of this charity drive please go to the link posted here. https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/comeuntochrist/light-the-world/what-is-light...

There are three holidays that are specific to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Technically, two of those aren't exactly celebrations.

For the sake of brevity, I'm just going to call both serious days Conference.

Every April and October, on the first Saturday and Sunday of those months, all adults, all over the world, listen to Conference. The leaders of our church talk about specific topics in our religion. There are musical numbers sung by our Choir—officially known as The Mormon Tabernacle Choir. (Thats the only place we use the name "Mormon" for our church.) Just like the first meeting in April 1830, each Conference session begins and ends with a prayer.

The Conference, whether it is in April or October, consists of five sessions. Three on Saturday and two on Sunday. Morning sessions are held at 10:00am Mountain Time. Afternoon sessions begin at 2:00pm Mountain Time. The Saturday evening session begins at 4:00pm in that Time Zone. Each of these is two hours long and broadcast on TV and the internet or can be viewed live in Salt Lake City.

These two days are mostly for adults. In addition to speakers and music, new building constructions are announced, population statistics are given and we vote on whether we support our church leaders or not.(This is important for adult members of the church.) Children are bored out of their minds but are happy to not have to get into Sunday dress that weekend.

The other holiday is more fun but kind of endemic to members who live in Utah, Arizona or New Mexico. July 24th is Pioneer Day. It is to commemorate the day that settlers in what would become the Utah territory celebrated Independence Day.(Side note; when the pioneers arrived, the area they settled in was part of Mexico.)They were still completing their journey when July 4th occurred so celebrating twenty days late was the only option.

In the present, this involves children and adults getting dressed up in clothes from around the time of the Pioneers' exodus.(I promise to write about this and explain in another entry.) Women and girls wear bonnets, dresses and aprons. Men and boys wear 1840s style western clothes.

Beginning in the 2010s, some adolescents participate in a historical reenactment called Trek. Teens pull a wooden, two wheeled wagon that carries a load of seventy pound. They do not go the full distance that saints walked.(Over 2000 miles.) Instead, they go on a much shorter distance through a local wilderness area in the state where they are from.

Other than that, it's much like US Independence Day. The local church members put on a parade and have barbecues.

This is probably an unusual endemic religious holiday but I remember celebrating July 24th with my parents. That was back when my family lived in Utah—to a degree, we also celebrated in New Mexico as well. Since moving away from the Southwestern United States, I haven't really observed Pioneer Day.


So what about Halloween and other holidays? While I can't speak for the international community, I know that growing up it was a personal choice which holidays to observe. The rest of the year, except for weekly Sunday church meetings and a once monthly fasting, is not as special.

There you have it. Thats what and how members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints celebrate holidays.

© Copyright 2024 SP is Muddling through (UN: scarypotato14 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SP is Muddling through has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1068760-Celebrations