*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1070089
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #2317268
A bunch of stories and poems…
#1070089 added April 29, 2024 at 8:12am
Restrictions: None
Under the Sea #43
"Write a children's story using sea animals"
Word Count: 624.

Once upon a time, a family of adorable brown furry otters lived in the sea. Their fur was the thickest of any animal in the world, which protected them from the cold ocean waters. When they slept they tied themselves together with seaweed strands, so they wouldn't float away and get separated.

One fine evening, as they floated on their backs, Mama Otter told little Otto a bedtime story about the sea fairies.

"These dainty little ladies and gents, wearing fancy clothing made of the most delicate multicolored seaweeds, come to the ocean's surface at each full moon to dance upon the waves. Their wings glisten in the moonlight, and their songs enchant all who listen."

"I'd love to see them, Mama!" Otto squealed. "Can I wait up tonight and watch them dance? Look, it's a full moon!"

He pointed at the big golden moon rising on the horizon, casting a wavy, glowing path across the sea towards them.

"The sea fairies don't like being stared at," Mama Otter replied. "Some creatures might want to eat them, so they only come out at midnight, when the moon reaches the top of the sky and fills the sea with light. That will be many hours past your bedtime, Otto."

Otto snuggled up against his mom as she wrapped him in seaweed. Gradually he fell asleep, dreaming of pretty fairies.

A few hours later, he awoke to the distant sounds of music and singing. It was like nothing he had ever heard before, sweet and delicate flutes with thin, tiny voices. He saw that the moon was all the way up in the top of the sky, lighting up the gentle waves with a mellow gleam.

It's the fairies! I must go see them. I'll just slip out of the seaweed here without disturbing Mama…

Otto disengaged himself from the safety wrappings and swam off towards the sound. It didn't seem like long before he was surrounded by the fairies, holding hands and dancing in long chains upon the waves. He watched in delight as a few of them gathered around him in a frolicking circle.

Otto swam and splashed, trying to play with the fairies. They went skipping back and forth over the ocean surface just out of reach, leading him further and further away from his family.

Suddenly, they disappeared, leaving nothing but gentle whitecapped waves glistening in the silent moonlight. Otto looked around at the endless ocean.

Oh no! I'm lost! I'm adrift in the sea, all alone… where did the fairies go?

He frantically swam in circles around and around, looking for any signs of his family. Otto started to cry. He thought he'd never see them again.

A little glow appeared in front of his nose. It was one of the fairies.

"Your mom warned you not to go chasing after us," it said reprovingly in a voice like tiny bells. "We need peace and quiet under the full moon."

"I'm sorry," Otto sniffled. "I should never have left Mama's side. Now I'm lost!"

"Follow me, I'll lead you back to your family."

The fairy set off across the sea, with Otto close behind. After a while they came to where the other otters were snuggled together, fast asleep. Otto found his mom and wrapped himself up once more in the seaweed next to her. He waved goodbye to the helpful fairy.

"I promise I won't disturb you ever again. Now I know why Mama ties us all together."

In the morning Otto told his mom all about seeing the pretty fairies and getting lost.

"You must have been dreaming, Otto dear. That was just a bedtime story. Sea fairies don't really exist. But I'm glad you learned a valuable lesson."


House Mormont Image for G.o.T.
Join "WDC Dragon Vale
© Copyright 2024 Amethyst Angel🌸📝🪽 (UN: greenwillow at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Amethyst Angel🌸📝🪽 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1070089