*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/115604-The-Big-Move-06-19-01-to-06-29-01
Rated: ASR · Book · Biographical · #165682
This is my [somewhat] daily journal!
#115604 added July 9, 2001 at 1:49pm
Restrictions: None
The Big Move [06-19-01 to 06-29-01]
Well, this entry is just a "catch up" entry for all those out there still reading my life. I have completed moving to the Sunshine State of Florida.. and I must say, its a lot different than I thought. I will write about some of the aspects later..but now, let me talk about the move.

On June 15th we moved out of our home in Portales after all our furniture and goods had been loaded onto a gigantic truck. We were staying at a TLA (Temp. Living Apparntment) on base (which was closer to Clovis than Portales).

On June 16th we went back to our Portales ex-home to clean and get it ready for the inspection on the following Monday (the 18th). This was major duty cleaning right here, boys and girls. I've never seen my parents clean so hard in their life (and I was right there helping). The inspection office of Cannon was really rough. They expected EVERYTHING to be SPOTLESS, like it was brand new. I cannot even put this into words.. Just to give you an idea of how hard we worked..we went around 9 in the morning, and I believe we got home around 9 or 10 at night--and we were NOT done!

On June 17th we went back for more cleaning... I stayed for the beginning, but I had made previous arrangements to spend my last day to ever step foot in Portales with my closest, and best of friends. This was, of course, Andy, Scottie, and Ruben. I went to Andy's house around noon, and had a blast. I can't really remember the exact time, but eventaully we all decided to go out and get some pizza... so we went to Anthony's pizza in Ruben's car. I have never seen someone so young drive so fast. He was doing over 80mph on a 65mph highway. Good lord, I thought we were going to die for a moment..but at the time I really didn't care. We had some music turned up (Aerosmith!) and I was just singing my heart out (of course, couldn't hear me cause the music was up as loud as it went). At the pizza place, I ate a TON of pizza. I think I out-ate Ruben and Scott combined. Andy either tied me, or just barely beat me. He sure can eat a lot.. Anyway, when we got back to Andy's house, we found my parents waiting for me..so it was time to go home. It was around 10 or so when we finally went back to the TLA, and got ready to depart in the morning.

June 19th was a pure travel day, as was the 20th. My dad and I took one car, my mom took the other. It wasn't too bad of a trip..but it could have been a lot better. There really isn't too much to say about the actual trip.. I mean, I sat in the car for 98% of the time. (1% would be for the hotel, and 1% would be for the extra stops (gas stations, food, the like))

On June 21st we pulled into Crestview, and eventually Eglin Air Force Base..our destination. Within moments of getting on the base we were LOST. This base is H U G E! Anyone who has been there should be able to agree with me.. espically if you compare it to a place like Cannon, which was extreamly small. Anyway, consulting the gigantic folding map we had of the base, we were able to locate the TLA/TLF (Temp. Living Facility) office and checked in. Since the room was not ready for us yet, we went looking around and actually went to housing office to see what kinds of housing was availiable for us at the current moment in time.

The housing here is much smaller than I had imagined. The house we came from in Portales was a four bedroom, two bath, with huge amounts of space. The housing here was mostly three bedroom, and some only had one bath. One thing that surprised me the most was the fact that every room had a cable jack in it. This was great news, it meant that I could finally own a cable modem, and get awsome internet speeds. (anyone who goes from 24000bps to 200+kbs can imagine my happiness in full! Everyone else who doesn't really understand the whole BPS/KBS.. just imagine going from a car that can only do 10mph to a car that can do over 100mph..and you'll get the picture)..

Anyway, we had to turn down the housing. Most of the stuff we packed wouldn't even fit in the house..and we really didn't want to throw away anymore than we had to. So we went to our little room at the TLF...must say, it wasn't the prettyest of places, but I think i'll write about that later.

The remaining days (22-29) were spent looking for a house in either Niceville (can you imagine living in a place called Niceville?) or Crestview. (Ft. Walton Beach didn't really appeal to us). Eventually we came across a really really nice house in Crestview, and we put our down payment on it..and what-do-ya-know.. we now are the current tennents! (oh boy, I bet I didn't spell that anywhere near how it should be..) The days were also spent looking around the area, and trying to get familiar with it..

So anyway... check out more in future entries.

© Copyright 2001 James (Himura) (UN: rurouni at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
James (Himura) has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/115604-The-Big-Move-06-19-01-to-06-29-01