*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/140067-Crime-and-Punishment--The-Sequel
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #214850
An evolution in years
#140067 added March 17, 2002 at 9:05pm
Restrictions: None
Crime and Punishment: The Sequel
To see the beginning of this tale see "Crime and Punishment" earlier in this journal. This is the end of that story, the sentence, and the attempt to understand why this is happening.

Last night, a good friend called, he wanted to make sure I would be at the sentencing of my friend who commited vehicular homicide. I told him that I would've been there even if he hadn't called.

Today, I walked into the courthouse, 15 minutes before the hearing was to begin. I looked at the docket, and then went to the courtroom. It was packed. I sat, next to complete strangers, and started to pray for the best possible outcome for my friend. 15 minutes later, it all began.

People from both sides made recomendations for sentencing. From outright jail-time, to Youth Offenders Services, to simple probation, it was all spoken for. The whole time, my friend sat there, hearing people talk about how this accident, this death, has affected thier lives. He heard testimony about the man he killed. The man who was very involved in the community, very loved, and very kind. He sat there, and endured it.

When the judge decided his sentence, my friend stood at the front of the court. As tears silently fell down his face, the judge told him his fate for the next 7-12 years. 6 years for vehicular manslaughter, 2 years for vehicular assult, to be served consecutivly, resulting in 8 years incarceration in all. We were all in shock. Then the judge suspended the sentence, to a 3 year sentence in Youth Offenders Services, a combination between boot camp, school, counseling, and incarceration. He was sentenced to 4 years probation after serving his sentence, with 400 hours community service. He stood there, strong, and accepted his fate.

The deputy came to the front of the courtroom. My friend's brother started crying. My friend calmly put his hands behind his back, and let them lead him away. He stood strong, he accepted his fate. I admire him for that.

After he was lead away, I came out of my shock. The good friend that had called me the night before came over to me. Two other good friends of mine had already gone to eachother for support. Two people who I had never seen cry before in my life, were far gone into tears. I held mine back.

I can't make myself believe it is true. Someone I know is in YOS (Prison), and has killed a man. I can't believe that someone I care for as a friend has to go through that in his life. I can't believe that my friend isn't going to be in school next semester, enduring the tortures of our teachers right there along side us. I can't belive how many people this accident has impacted.

In 3 years, my friend will be released. At this point, everyone he knew and was close to will have been in college for 1.5 years. We will have changed, and our lives will have continued. None of us will understand what he has been through. The entire dynamic of our lives has been changed forever.

Lessons to be learned, Life to be lived, Pain to be had.

Don't speed on city streets, don't be a fool, don't ruin your life because of a mistake, this is my lesson to you.


Kgirlfae ~ Wanting

© Copyright 2002 Kgirlfae ~ Wanting (UN: kgirlfae at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kgirlfae ~ Wanting has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/140067-Crime-and-Punishment--The-Sequel