*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/258241-Life-is-like-the-English-langauge
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #470704
Things I find myself only able to express in words and in this journal - welcome!
#258241 added September 24, 2003 at 10:48pm
Restrictions: None
Life is like the English langauge...
Life is like the English language. There are so many rules and exceptions. But without these rules, without grammar, we would never exeperience novels like Jane Eyre, The Outsiders, Lord of the Flies, The Fountainhead, The Great Gatsby, or whatever you personally prefer. With so many books out there you have many choices. We would never have the wonderful experience of finishing a book and temporarily losing a friend when we close it. Afterall, a book is a friend that will always be there for you, you can always go back to it and the words will unfold before your eyes just as before, the story will be the same, it becomes comforting, the consistency.
Without grammar, without all the rules and exceptions, we'd never have them. We have so many rules in life. So many things that are expected of us and so many things that aren't good.
If you express your feelings, it makes people uncomfortable. But if you don't, you fell like you're going insane, you bottle it all up, until you explode. Then the same people look at you in disgust because you explode. Or they tell you that you should express your feelings.... go figure. Make up your minds people.
We take so many things personal, things that we shouldn't. That really aren't about us, but then when they are about us, we don't want to take them personal. Contradiction.
We're allowed to fall in love with anyone we wish, afterall, love is love. Exception to this: it's not love when it's with someone of the same sex or a different race or religion, no no, that can't be love.
All we want is the truth, some search for the truth most of their lives, but when they find it and don't like it, they refuse to accept it then.
We're all about people being equal. But some people are more equal than others.
We want people to listen to our ideas, to have an open mind about our ideas. But when we disagree with someone elses ideas, how many of us continue to really listen? How many people want to honestly hear what that person is saying?
The media is constantly telling you not to have sex, along with your parents. While all the mass media broadcasts are sexual themes or shows that involve details about a characters sex life. And sometimes, you get in school where your friends set an expectation for you, that sex will help you fit in.
You should always go for true love. True love never fails. Except when it's not easy for you, then you should give up on it. Where is there a rule about love being easy?
We should all be free to think for ourselves, but... why would we want to now? We can just follow everyone else! We're taught to stand out, but looked at strangely when we decide to be our own person. We're excluded and pushed into isolation for being ourself. Called names and made fun of until we're so down we can't get up on our own.
People get so depressed that they decide to injure themselves, then they're looked down upon. When in many cases, the reason they do this is because they look down upon themself...we just perpetuate the cycle by looking down upon them instead of lending them a hand.

So many expectations with so many exceptions. How do we know what to do? We're stuck in a permanment problem of being between a rock and a hard place.

But, if we didn't have these exceptions, would we ever be able to enjoy what is good? Would we ever be able to enjoy a book without the exceptions to the rules of grammar? Even the bad books make you like the better ones more.

This was inspired by Sarah and her ranting about how stupid grammar was, why we have rules when there are so many exceptions. Now I think I know why she likes books so much.

© Copyright 2003 TrueSoul137 (UN: truesoul137 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
TrueSoul137 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/258241-Life-is-like-the-English-langauge