*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/279148-I-Am-Chosen
Rated: E · Book · Animal · #800641
My book. Does it have any possiblities, or not?
#279148 added April 3, 2004 at 1:29am
Restrictions: None
I Am Chosen
Mews,

The last day of the Festival, I slept late. When I finally woke up, it was to the smell of sizzling sausages and pancakes. This was the most important day of the Festival. Tonight all the cats gathered at Golden Lake to watch the annual Meteor Shower. It is said that the meteors represent our ancestors. We sit in family groups and watch them fall, and they quietly name loved ones who have crossed the Rainbow Bridge. And most special of all, one of the three to six-year olds is chosen to end of the Festival. I hoped ever so much that it would be me, but it is usually one of the six-year olds.

After breakfast helped her Mewma clean up. Then we carefully swept and dusted the house so that all would be in order for the visit of our ancestors. Mewma set out dishes of special food on the table. Salmon cakes made with special catnip, and lovely slices of Chunknip Melon. Then it was time to get ready to go.

I carefully brushed my fur, then put on the lovely new lavender dress which Mewma and Pawpa bought me. I wanted to look my very best. I picked up my new Makreela doll and hugged her close. Then I put her in my pocket. I hoped she would bring me good luck. Pawpa looked ever so handsome in his lavender shirt, and Mewma looked lovely in her new dress covered in tiny lavender flowers.

When we arrived at Golden Lake, I took my place with the other three to six year olds, and Mewma and Pawpa picked out a lovely grassy little knoll on which to sit. I could feel the excitement in the crowd. Finally the Prince and Princess arrived in their pink Cadillac, and took their places in their box, which over-looked the lake. I love the Prince and Princess, who are both so sweet. The Princess wore a beautiful long pale pink chiffon dress, embroidered with tiny pink roses and shot through with silver threads that sparkled in the moonlight. She was so beautiful. The Prince looked ever so dashing in a Maroon waistcoat and tails. After they were seated, the Princess raised her paw and said “Hugs and Purrs.” Then she opened the door of a large birdcage, and many lovely flutterbys flew out. Most of them flew away, but one flew toward the crowd and over our heads. It flitted here and there, and at last it came gently to rest on my shoulder. I was stunned. There were butterflies in my stomach, and I stood rooted to the spot like stone. Then I took a deep breath, and thought to myself, “I can do this. I know I can.” I raised my head high, and walked slowly and carefully down to the box where the Prince and Princess sat waiting. The Princess slipped her paw mine and squeezed it tight. I stood tall, and looked out over the crowd, and said, “This is the end of the Hugs and Purrs Festival, and the beginning of a New Year. Remember to always greet your neighbor with Hugs and Purrs, and long live our ancestors.” Then I walked back to Mewma and Pawpa and sat down with them just as the stars began to fall.

Oh, it was a lovely evening, with a quarter moon in the sky, and the Magic Star Kitten constellation gleaming high overhead. It was a beautiful starfall, and the crowd watched in silence long into the night. At last it was all over, and I smiled to myself as I fell asleep .I knew my Mewma and Pawpa were very proud of me.

Purrs, Mim


© Copyright 2004 Cynaemon (UN: noelanicat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cynaemon has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/279148-I-Am-Chosen