*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/314566-Chapter-One
Rated: 13+ · Book · Romance/Love · #909432
A historical romance about Lindsey and Ashton
#314566 added November 17, 2004 at 1:57am
Restrictions: None
Chapter One
Chapter One




         London 1823



The clatter of a carriage sought to end. Trying to hide from the depressing greyness that had been set upon the city for more than a week. It was the only thing in the dampened street. Looking through the window at the empty street where just two weeks ago many couples had gone hand in hand walking with no cares. Children playing with their huge imaginations and women walking as they gathered the latest gossip of the ton. A very merry place. Now it had turned into something out of a dark novel. The clouds hung down like a saddened woman who weeps at the loss of a lover. The true love of her heart knowing she is unable to do anything but let her head hang shame and cry. The mood of the weather had kept most people inside their homes, snuggling close to the fires. They were not even willing to take the chance of going to the finest of festivaties.

As she let the curtain fall back in place, Lindsey walked over to her favorite sitting chair. She hadn’t even gone down stairs today or yesterday. Her only wish to see if the letter she longed for had come. Much to her disappointment there was nothing awaiting for her. She had then informed her butler that if any mail or messenger should come by she should be notified at once. Still nothing came. Much like the weather, she was feeling dark and cold inside. The thoughts flooded back into her head of happier times. It truly didn’t seem that long ago that she had been happy. Enjoying what life had to offer her. She glanced over at the mirror on the table. She got up and to take a closer look at the person staring back at her.

Her long chestnut curls flashed with just a hint of red in the candle light looking like a dirty mop. Her face, though very perfectly shaped had not the slightest hint of color to it. The eyes looking back at her had lost all their sparkle. They once were almost like sapphires that had been stolen stars from the sky. Now they were just a plain, dark blue. She shifted in her seat glad that she did have one thing that had not gone to waste, her shape. She had not been like some of her old friends, after having children, swelling around the middle.

The thought almost made her giggle. Then she looked back in to the mirror, back at her face. She needed to work on putting life back in it. Back into her. She hadn’t done anything in such a long time. She was lost. Trying to find any hint of life left within her soul. She reached over and pulled the tassel for her maid, hoping a bath might improve her mood. Returning to her chair as she waited.

The skies outside let loose all the tears they had held. Now it was pouring down, and all she could hear were the raindrops on her window sill. Wrapped up in her thoughts, the knock at the door made Lindsey jump, bringing her back to the present.

“Come in” Lindsey said.

A very young girl entered the room. Lindsey looks up at her maid, suddenly aware of how much life she has in her face. She was truly alive.

“Eve, mi’lady” Josie said with a small curtsy, looking at her employer.

“I would like you to prepare my bath and make sure the fire is lit in the study, I shall take dinner there. Be sure to tell Lilly,” Lindsey said. She then turned back toward the window as her maid scurried out of the room mumbling under her breath a quick “Yes, ma’am”

Lindsey had hoped that taking a bath and changing into a dinner dress would help perk up her dark mood. Forcing herself to leave the confining walls of her room would also be of aid. Wondering which dress she should put on after her warm bath should have been an easy task but it was harder than what Lindsey thought. Nothing too formal, since she would be the only one dining but something nicer than the nightdress and robe she now wore. Here it was almost half past four in the evening and she was still in her night clothes. A habit she really should never have gotten use to. Glancing through her vast closet of clothing, she looked off into space not really even seeing her clothing. She quickly picked out a simple dark blue gown. Thinking ‘nothing fancy about this one,’ just as a knock came at the door and bouncy Josie walked through.

“What is it Josie?” Lindsey snapped.

“Sorry, ma’am, but a messenger came by and you said to be told at once,” Josie said with an uncertain voice.

“Well, what did they want?” she said hoping.

“It said that Lord Manning would be stopping by this evening around seven” the maid said knowing this was not the information her employer was waiting for.

“Did they leave a note?” she queried. Puzzling over who would interrupt her planned evening.

“No, my lady, should I send word back that you will be unavailable for visitors?” fear crept into Josie’s voice as she sensed trouble. Making her speak quickly.

“No, Josie, I shall find out what this person wants. Do not worry I am not angry at you. Make sure that there will be tea and sconces ready for Lord Manning.”

Lindsey started to wonder who would venture out in this bitter rain to visit her.

“Um, my lady,” waiting for her employer to notice she was still speaking before continuing “your bath is almost ready.”

“Oh, very well, be off, but don’t wonder too far this time. I will still need your help” she said in a rather stern voice.

In a rush, Lindsey began to gather the things she needed for her bath and to prepare herself for a visit, wondering who in the world Lord Manning was? She had never heard of him before. Of course, thinking back, she hadn’t really been apart of the social scene for over a year. Not since her husband of less than eight years left her for his mistress. ‘He left her,’ she repeated in her head. Truth was he might have left her, but she was the one cast out of the inner circle of the ton. To be divorced was a greater fait than death. He might as well killed her. Now she was an outcast to everyone! Divorced! Anger pushed its way to her face. Her pale face which was now flushed in anger. As she remembered what had happened. How it had happened.

She had heard talk of him before they married but never thought any of it true. Not even when he had told her he was leaving her for another woman did it fully sink in. Only when she tried to get funds had she understood what had truly gone on with their marriage. Lord Robert Payton had used her! Used her for the money he would get once they were married! Shaking her head trying to get these thoughts out of her head, she went to see if her bath was ready so she could meet with an unknown caller.

Taking her time in her hot bath, just relaxing in the water with her thoughts. Trying to get the thought of this mystery man out of her head. She stood up and grabbed the robe the maid had laid out for her. Wrapping herself, she then went and sat in front of the mirror. The air was filled with the fragrance of roses and lavender, her favorite scents. Not wanting to overdress she had picked out a simple blue gown. Now slipping it on she noticed it hugged her figure a little more than she had remembered.

She looked up at the mantel clock, just past six. She still had half an hour to wait for her guest. As she glanced down at her plate, Lindsey was right about taking her dinner in the study. It certainly had lifted her mood. Even if it were ever so little. It was higher than it had been in months. She pulled the bell for Sam to come retrieve her plate off the desk. When a knock came at the door.

“Come in, Sam” but Sam wasn’t the one who entered. Instead a very tall and masculine man walked across the threshold. Lindsey had never seen him before. Dark brown hair, very pale skin, soft emerald eyes that hinted a window to his soul. However, she could not see into him. Feeling a loss of air, Lindsey had to search her mind for her thoughts. Of what to do, she had never been at a loss of what to do. Until now.
Even before she could tell her body to move, he blurted out “Good evening, Lady Payton.” Gracing her with a very royal bow. His eyes took hold of hers almost entrancing her. It took her some time before she noticed no one had said anything. They were just two people staring at each other. They were lost in each others eyes. As if maybe soul mates newly found.

“Good evening, sir” searching for the right words to say, trying not to blush. Trying to understand why she was fighting a blush. Something that was left to silly chits.

“Sorry to interrupt your supper,” he looked over at the half empty plate on the desk.

“Oh, well, no trouble, I was finished and just going to call Sam.” She shut up before she babbled anymore information to this stranger in her study. The heat in her cheeks told her she had failed at not blushing.

“Very well then, I would like to introduce myself. I am Lord Ashton Manning.” Taking another bow, he continued “but if you would like, you may call me Ashton, no need in formal names with me, they all seem too stuffy anyhow,” he finished with a bright smile.

With a shocked look on her face and trying not to hold her breath Lindsey replied “It’s very nice to make your acquaintance, my lord.” She knew who the Manning family was, they were rich and powerful. Now she wondered why he needed to speak to her. She was not rich. Nor did she hold any social standing. The thoughts swirled through her head. ‘What to do, what to do?’

“Um, please have a seat,” she said the first thing that popped into her head. Giving him a small hint of a smile. The way he looked made Lindsey feel very unsure of herself. Unlike him, who seemed to hold himself with confidence. Shoulders straight, his jaw very strong and firm. He was the man of her dreams, she thought. Then she shook her head. Trying not to think of those type things.

“Thank you very much, my lady,” he said while glancing over the room, looking for the best place to sit.

The choice wasn’t from the best pickings, but he figured he would choose the settee. Since the chairs in the room looked very uncomfortable and small. They were nicely covered but they lacked the finery of what his family was accustomed to. The room’s walls were covered in a very rich burgundy that was highlighted by the dark, enticing cherry wood. The fire roared with flames which kept the room very well heated. He noticed some crystal shapes on top of the mantel. They must have been a gift from her husband or maybe even her parents. This room might not have the best that the queen herself could afford but it was rather nicely furnished. From what Ashton could see.

“Perhaps, sir, you would like to let me know why you ventured out in the rain, just to call upon me,” she said without trying to sound rude.

“Well, ma’am, I was playing the games last night and,” her mind raced. What did him playing games have to do with her. Then her mind reached the only possible thing, as he said it, “your husband and I were playing and I would like to say I did rather well,” was he bragging? Almost holding her breath she wished he would hurry to the point. She had to pay him money to repay her husband’s debt once again.

“Well, um, I’m not really sure how to put this,” before he could finish what he had to say, which was no easy task for him, she could see. She broke in, trying to take away the difficulty, since it seemed almost too hard for him to blurt out.

“Robert owes you money and told you to come here to be paid, very well, how much does the blackheart owe you? So this can be done with,” she said with amazing pride, while reaching for her bank book.

The look on Lord Manning’s face showed that he wasn’t here for money. There was something more. Something she was almost sure she didn’t want to know but was going to be forced to hear anyway.

“Well, Lady Payton, like I was trying to say,” taking a deep breath “your husband lost last night, and yes, I am here to collect his debt, but is not money that he lost,” he said clearing his throat.

Her mind soared with what he was about to say, “Robert put up this house and lost,” he finally said. Finally getting the truth out. He looked at Lady Payton. He noticed she looked like she was about to faint in her chair.

Taken aback by his words, she sank deep into the chair. All she wanted to do was find a deep hole and hide herself in it. The thought, ‘the house’, kept swirling in her head. The house! The thought of losing her house! What was she to do now? The house! Where would she live? How would she live?

Her thoughts were broken by Lord Manning’s voice, “Yes, well now that I was finally able to get that out,” she glared at him, almost burning a hole through his heart.

He could tell she had no any idea this had happened. He had hoped her husband would at least be kind enough to send notice of this to her. He had heard rumors that Lord Payton had moved out some time ago. That he had his mistress move in with him. He had even been told the bold rumor that the block had filed for divorce. Something that was not heard of, and not very well taken by the high-bred people of the ton.

Almost in tears, Lindsey had no choice but sit and listen to what Lord Manning had to say. The words rolling off his tongue would change her life, no matter what it was. She knew she was a strong person but this? This of all things? Her home? The only thing she had left since her husband had taken everything else from her. Even her two small children. He had left her with nothing. She was helpless. Now she was going to be homeless.

She had hoped that the loss of her children would be the worst fate she would have to endure. She had strong hopes of getting her children back. Even if she had to kidnap them like her husband had done when he left her. Tears started to burn Lindsey’s eyes. She knew now was not the time, she had a visitor. No matter how much she wanted, she could not cry in front of him. Now what was she to do? Even if Robert gave her children back to her, where would they live. He hadn’t left her with any amount of money, and what little she did have hidden was now almost gone.

All Lindsey could think about was the torment her children must be going through. Not having their mother. Having to leave all the things they had loved behind them. Not knowing what their future would now hold. Her head was swimming in the deepest ocean of thoughts. None of them held any light at the end of the rain. The thoughts of what her husband had told their children on why they left, pounded through her mind. She had no clue, for all she knew, he could have told them she didn’t want them anymore, or worse, that she didn’t love them. Oh gawd, her head was spinning, or was that the room. At that moment she did not know. Lord Manning looked at her like she was a ghost, and just then Lindsey did something she had never done before, she fainted.
© Copyright 2004 Haven Rich (UN: havenrich at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Haven Rich has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/314566-Chapter-One