*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/317364-Chapter-Thirty-Three
Rated: 18+ · Book · Romance/Love · #915981
A small town is turned upside down when a handsome young man comes looking for his friend.
#317364 added October 19, 2006 at 4:06pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Thirty-Three
They finally made it down the mountain and stopped by the Sheriff’s Department and dropped off their prisoner. Jeff met them at the front desk. “Who’s this”, he asked. “He refuses to say anything, won’t even give us his name” replied Mandy.

“The only thing we know is that he’s one of Gills henchmen” replied Paul.

They left the office and headed to the urgent care center to get Mandy’s ankle taken care. They both looked up as Mandy approached them on crutches. Paul was the first to speak. “How’s the ankle?”

“It’s just a sprain but the doctor says I need to stay off of it for a few days.”

“I’m glad you’re okay, but you’ve been through an awful ordeal and you need to get some rest”, interjected Lone Wolfe. “We need to get you home.” A couple of hours later they were heading for Mandy’s. When they finally reached Mandy’s house they were exhausted and dirty. Mandy’s wrists were raw and chafed from working the ropes and her ankle was throbbing. All she wanted to do was get into a hot tub and soak for five hours. Her entire body felt like it had been run over by a freight train. She looked over at Paul and he looked like she felt but she was too tired to say anything. They thanked Lone Wolfe and said goodnight.

After they had dropped off the prisoner and he was secured; Jeff started making arrangements to have Gill and his three men brought in along with Steve. Mandy called Jeff to get an update on what was going on. She was told that Jeff was putting together a group to go up the mountain after Gill and his men. She demanded to speak to Jeff and when he answered she said, “Jeff, we’re going with you.”

“No you’re not, you’re going to stay right there and stay off that foot.”

“Jeff I have to be there. I want to see Gill’s face when you cuff him. Please Jeff, I need to be there” she pleaded.

“I’ll let you go under one condition. You stay in the car.”

“I’ll agree to anything, as long as I can watch him be taken down.” After she hung up Paul asked her what was going on. She told him what Jeff had said.

“I’ll be there to make sure you keep that promise. Give me a few minutes to freshen up and we can be on our way.”

Jeff had ordered all the officers back on duty and they were all there waiting when Paul and Mandy arrived. Jeff called everyone together. “I want everyone to listen carefully. I don’t want any screw-ups. We finally have enough on Gill to put him and his henchmen out of business. I don’t want him getting away. So we do it by the book and on my orders only. I don’t want anyone playing cowboy. Stay with your partner at all times. We don’t want any blood shed but we will do whatever is necessary. Are we ready? Let’s go get ‘em!”

When they arrived at the campsite, they found it empty. They split up into pairs and started combing the area. Two of the deputies found a man lying in the brush not far from the site. They radioed Jeff to announce their find. Jeff ordered everyone to keep searching while he went to check out what the two deputies had found. When he arrived he found that the man was Steve. He’d been shot once through the temple. Looked like he died instantly. “Radio the clinic to send a doctor and also contact the coroner, then wait here for them.”

Jeff went back to the car to give Mandy and Paul the news about Steve. “Steve won’t be telling us anything”, said Jeff, “two of my guys just found him. He’d been shot through the head. I’m afraid he’s dead.”
“Gill must have somehow found out that he helped us. He told us that his life would be in danger if Gill found out that he helped us”, said Paul.

“I wish I had been more insistent on him coming with us”, said Mandy, “he would be alive now. I almost feel responsible for his death.”

“You’re not to blame, it was his choice to return to Gill”, said Paul.

“Well, I’m going to join the boys, we’re gonna find this son-of-a-bitch, we’re not leaving here without him.”

“Jeff, I think I know where he might be holed up. Try the ancient forest. There’s a clearing where they’ve illegally cleared out some trees. No one ever goes there so they may have chosen to hide out there.”

“Okay, we’ll check it out.”

“But you may not be able to find the right area; I can show you where it is.”

“No, you stay right here. Maybe Paul can show us. Paul?”

“I’m sorry but I don’t know these woods and it was dark. I have no clue where we were.”

“Okay Mandy, but I want you and Paul to stay close to me. Any sign of trouble I want you both to find a safe place and stay there. Promise me that!”

“We promise”, replied Paul. “Let’s go.”

As they approached the area Jeff signaled for everyone to be quiet and proceeded with caution. He signaled for Paul and Mandy to stay very close to him until they could make sure that all three men were with Gill in the clearing. Jeff looked into the clearing from behind a tree; the three men and Gill were there. It looked like they were making plans to take down more trees. Jeff figured that they were going to try and take down as many trees as possible before they were caught. He was sure the Gill knew that they knew about his operation by now. Jeff motioned for his men to circle the group. Once everyone was in place he stepped from behind the tree and announced, “Police! Everyone stay where you are, don’t move.” The other officers moved in from their places and surrounded the group. “Lie on your stomachs and place your hands behind your heads. Come on, move it”, shouted Jeff. Gill tried to make a run for it but was stopped by two of the deputies. The other deputies moved in and handcuffed each one of them. Gill looked up and saw Mandy. “I thought I had finally gotten ridden of.”-

“It takes more than you and your goons to get rid of me. I want to see you pay. I know you killed my father and Kenny. I also know that you tried to kill Mark. You killed Steve, but I’m sure we will get enough evidence to send you and your boys away for a very, very long time.”

“Well if I have to go down I’m not going alone.”

“Does that mean you’re going to confess?”

“Maybe, if the price is right.” chimed Gill.

Jeff replied, “It depends if the information is worth buying.”

They returned to the camp and found that the doctor and the coroner were there. The doctor had pronounced Steve dead and the coroner was loading the body into the wagon for transportation. They placed the four men in the cars for transportation to jail.
© Copyright 2006 Jazelle Vornet (UN: jazellevn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jazelle Vornet has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/317364-Chapter-Thirty-Three