*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/325182-Entertainment
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest · #928100
writing marathan
#325182 added January 29, 2005 at 11:41am
Restrictions: None
Entertainment
Fear prohibited Scottie from sleep. He heard the cat meowing loudly from the window of his bedroom. Slyler was afraid too. But he wasn’t about to admit it, especially in front of Patrick. The three teenagers, sat on the floor in front of the television set with a pack of cards. Armed with a pepperoni pizza from Papa John’s, paid for by Patrick himself, and Dr. Pepper they raided from the fridge,

Sue had called and briefly saying she would be home in several hours. Jay and Patrick could spend the night.

“What’s going on? Katie asked her mother for the third time this evening.

“”I’m not sure. Where are the boys? “

“In the guest room. We told a ghost story and they are scared. They want to get up, but I won’t let them.”

“”It’s Saturday night. If you want, its okay.”

“Is it grown up stuff? And you can’t tell me? Katie asked, bring her mother back to the subject of Uncle Mike.

"Don’t say anything to the boys,” her voice was stern, “Promise?”

“I promise.”

"I’m at the hospital. Uncle Mike is fighting for his life.”

“Whaaa?”

“Yes, Please behavior yourselves and take good care of the boys. I’ve already spoken to Leslie and Greg, (Patrick’s dad) to let them know. Everything’s taken care of. I’ll be home in a few hours. “ There was a long pause. “I hope”

“Mom,”

“Yes?” Sue answered with visible frustration

“I love you.”

“I love you too sweetie.”


Before hanging up, she made Paddy; as she called him, get on the phone.

“You’re sleeping on the couch. I trust you will take good care of the girls and the boys?” It was more of an order than a question.

“Yes ma’am.”

Katie sat down on the couch, dazed, tears streaming down her face. Her friends on either side, hugging her for support.

“I’m scared.” It was Scottie. Following close behind.

Katie wiped her eyes. Come on. We have pizza. We’re playing cards. You guys can help us. Scottie, you can be on my team.”

So they let the boys sit with them on the floor, playing rummy one thousand. Not rummy five hundred as mot people play. But rummy one thousand. Usually, it was a fun game. With great bounty at stake. If you won a hand, you won possession of the TV remote until the next hand was won.

Before the game started, (before the phone call), the three of them huddled, peering over each other shoulder trying to read the TV Guide section of the newspaper. Half the fun was seeing what movies and TV shows were on. Excitement radiated from their tones when all there was a movie that all three liked. What really sucked was when Patrick chose some war movie and he won three hands in a row. Forcing the girls to watch Torah Torah Torah, or even worse Platoon. Sometimes, they chose three different movies and stuck with them, but other times, the channel changed at the end of every round.

Playing at Patrick’s house meant extended cable times ten since he had a dish. Katie had extended cable, with several HBO’s, Showtimes, Sundance and all the Discovery channels.

Before the pizza got cold, the five of them settled down on the floor. Adult Swim was on the cartoon network; Katie ruled that channel out - not wanting the little guys to watch it. And while she was at it, she ruled out MTV’s The Real World, Comedy Central, and Seinfeld reruns, just because.

“You can’t rule out Seinfeld!” Patrick protested. “On what grounds?”

Katie smiled “I want to.”

Juliana shuffled the cards while the boys dug into the pizza box. Staying up late to watch TV was a real treat. Sklyer realized more than Scottie, how special it was. For now, the TV was on CMT’ 4o Greatest NASCAR Moments. The boys were happy, Patrick included. The girls were playing for keeps.

“You have all red cards Katie.” Scottie said.

The other two card players laughed. Quickly calculating how this news could be used for their advantages.

“SSShhh. You’re not supposed to-“

“And that’s an eight. And a three.”

Katie covered Scottie’s mouth with her hand. “If you’re gonna be on my team, you have to be quiet. Don’t say what my cards are. It’s a secret.” He shook his head in understanding, then whispered. “There’s’ a ‘K”.” More giggles from Katie’s opponents.

Snatching up the remote from the floor, Juliana, the winner, clicked on Pleasantville. Reese Witherspoon was saying, “I have three pounds of underwear on here.” Liking this movie, Katie took longer than necessary to shuffle the cards.

For two hours, the gang stay up playing, the winning score, 752 belonged to Patrick. He won big when Sklyer and Scottie whispered the hands of their teammates. During the evening they had watched seen John Lovett saying “You don’t see me suckin’ on the dashboard…getting’ his germs…” from Rat Race; Julia Roberts in Runaway Bride, 13 Going on 30, Sudden Impact, the TV version, Bart Simpson, and Rugrats, The Movie.

For three rounds they watch the ending of Daredevil only because Sklyer had successfully begged them. Julian helped to convince Katie because ‘Ben Affleck is such a hottie’

At two in the morning, Katie put a stop to the fun by announcing bedtime had arrived. She and Juliana held the hands of the little ones, walking them back towards their beds. Patrick followed. Like mothers, they tucked in their guys, each receiving a kiss on the forehead.

“I want to be tucked in.” Patrick whined. Juliana picked up a shoe and threw it in his direction. He easily dodged and commented, “You throw like a girl.”

Katie was exhausted as they threw away the empty pizza box and soda bottles. “I don’t want to go to bed now.” She said.

“Yeah you do.” Patrick told her. “Go get some rest. Your mom will be home soon.”

Juliana hugged her friend. “Come on girl.” She grabbed her by the hand and dragged her down the hall. “Do I have to tuck you in?”

“I want to be a girl.” Patrick whined, so you can tuck me in.”

“You want another shoe thrown at you too.”
© Copyright 2005 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/325182-Entertainment