*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/325271-Western
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest · #928100
writing marathan
#325271 added January 29, 2005 at 9:06pm
Restrictions: None
Western
Two hours south of Hinesville there was a town called Sleep Nest. Inside the town was a camp called Western Style. A one hundred, eighty-five acre place, dedicated to re-creating the old West. Run by a guy who everyone called Coyote. People, visitors and new staff alike, tried to call him Coyote Joe, or Coyote Ugly, but he’d spit venomous words in their faces. It was just plain Coyote.

Coyote was the first to popularize those booths you’d see at malls and festivals, the ones where you could change into old fashion western clothes and get your picture taken with a camera using a filter so the photograph came out old and yellow tinted.

His camp, Western Style was known all over the east. Critics said it was a great place to see living history in action. Tourists loved the hospitality, authenticity, not to mention the flexibility of scheduling. The place was open from 6:00 AM – 2:00AM. Visiting for a day, a weekend or even as long as the entire summer, rooms were available for rent. You could rent a modern room, filled with a full bathroom, electricity, mini fried, TV and radio. Or, you could opt for the real western experience and take your bath in a metal tub outside.

Guests could see spontaneous shootouts. Or sign up to be arrested, hand cuffed and thrown in jail for loitering. They could learn to ride horses, sew clothes, and cook without electricity. Play the banjo among other things.

The staff loved the place for lots of reasons, mainly the acting experience. Coyote put on four staged shows during the course of each day; a wonderful way to practice your acting skills. Looks were secondary to acting. Coyote hired staff of all ages for his shows. Western Style experience was something agents loved to see on resumes.

Coyote had a small tight circle of friends and Sue was one of them. Their friendship sealed twenty years ago when he ad drifted into town. His cowboy hat and boots foreign to her. His free spirit refreshing, she was attracted instantly. Unfortunately, her parents didn’t share Sue’s fondness for Jeb, his real name. They forbad her to see him. Preferring instead, Bradley, the son of a long time family friend who owned the town’s only major accounting firm. Their daughter’s future would be secure with Bradley.

She knew he’d be up at two in the morning, so she called.

“Hey darlin’ Whatcha doing up at this late hour?” He asked as soon as he realized it was she.

She was at the hospital. Mike’s boys had been dropped off a week ago. Tonight, Michael had been admitted into the psychiatric ward due to a suicide attempt. Overdose of pills.

“Oh darlin’” he said. “You need a big ole bear hug and a strong shoulder. Where’s Brad?”

“Out of town. New York City. I called and left messages. I guess his meetings are running late. He had a dinner engagement followed by cocktails. I talked to him late yesterday evening. He wasn’t happy about the boys staying for three more weeks. But what could he say? Who know’s how long it will be now.”

Jeb could hear her sobbing. He never got over her. He had married once, but it didn’t work out. No kids, a clean break. Lots of woman flirted with him, and he obliged them on occasion. Sue, or Susan, as he called her, held his heart. Tighter than a mama holdin’ her first-born baby. In his mind, Katie was his child. He did the math, plus, she had his grandmother’s jaw, and his father’s eyes. Though everyone else said she looked like Susan.

Every few years, the old flame was rekindled. It was easy, Katie loved staying at Western Style and Bradley was out of town so much, probably doing the same thing Sue was doing. Katie learned to ride a horse. She loved the open air, the authentic clothing, but she always stayed in a room with full amenities. Once she tried the real western rooms, but quickly moved into a place with a TV. Going through withdrawals without Friends to watch.

“Listen, Susan, darlin’ have Katie drive the boys up here. They can stay for a week or so. Give you time to set your horses up.”

Sue didn’t respond.

Jeb changed his tone. “I haven’t seen my girl in two years. Hell, she can bring that friend of hers if she wants to. Tell ‘em I’ll let them have small parts in our shows.” Katie would die to hear that. Funny, she should use the word ‘die’’ just now.

Death, what would she do if Michael’s suicide attempt had been successful? Or, if he didn’t make it through the night.

“Once Mike is out of the woods, I just might do that.”

They talked for a few minutes about superficial things. Sue found it comforting to speak to another adult.

“Ill let you go.” She finally said, knowing he had an early start in the morning. “I’ll be alright. And I’ll call you tomorrow to let you know how things are going. Hopefully, the boys and Kate will be on their way down soon.”

She stretched her body along the couch and looked at the TV. An old rerun of Gunsmoke was on. She closed her eyes, let her mid drift and fell asleep.

She could still hear the gun fighting on the television through her sleep. It was real. She was running down a dusty road. She jumped behind a huge dust bowl and hid while horses raced by. Lots of horses. They were shooting at something but what. “You better get out of the way ma’am” a strange man yelled down at her while his horse dashed by. She was out of the way. Who was he? Why did he care? Wasn’t he the enemy?

She woke with a start. A nurse shaking her arm. “Ma’am’, her southern accent kept saying. “Wake up. “Ma’am. You’re dreaming.”

© Copyright 2005 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/325271-Western