*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/329317-Chapter-3
Rated: E · Book · Children's · #941001
3 Pumpkins learn that everything is going to be ok...
#329317 added February 19, 2005 at 2:23pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 3
Chapter 3

Early one morning, as dew spread out along the grass, the three little pumpkins, now the equivalent to a three year old child, watched the ever-shining sun rise over Farmer Smith’s fields. It had been many weeks since their conception, and as such, they begin to wonder aloud about things.

Thus, this morning, Sally started to cry.

“Sally, why are you crying?” asked Michael, swinging his eyes around to his sister, who was not looking at the sun, but rather the mighty scarecrows dotted all over the pumpkin patches.

“Why are we here, Michael, and not with the rest of our kind?” asked Sally, sniffing at the air as she looked up expectantly.

“I don’t know,” replied Jack, who had asked himself the same question many times. “There must be others like us over there, but I dunno even know who we are.”

“Maybe we should ask someone,” added Toby,
who was absently sniffing at a vine leaf that had covered his eyes.

“That sounds like a great plan,” Jack said, smiling, “but who can we ask?”

Suddenly, the ever-shining sun sent a beam of sunlight towards the little pumpkins, illuminating a fuzzy brown creature hopping amongst the still-thick vines. To all appearances it looked like a twitching, fuzzy, so-soft ball of fur, with long slender ears that perked at the beam of sunlight.

“Michael, what is it…?” Toby squeaked silently, trying to hide himself beneath the leaves.

However, Michael couldn’t respond. He was too stunned to say anything. None of the little pumpkins had ever seen anything like this creature before, which was now looking curiously at the three little pumpkins, its nose twitching.

“What are you?” Sally asked boldly, her voice trembling with fear.

“I am a rabbit,” replied the creature, as it hopped over to the pumpkins and began to sniff the air, “and I am looking for food.”

The rabbit moved closer, sniffing at the little pumpkins. Its long slender ears stood at attention, as it looked around, twitching its nose in various directions.

“Are we your food?” all three pumpkins cried out together, doing their best to huddle together.

“No,” said the rabbit. “I only like carrots and lettuce,” he explained, “carrots and lettuce! And, you are neither.”

“So what are we?” Michael asked slowly.

“Sorry I can’t help you,” the rabbit said absently as it hopped away. “You are not carrots, nor are you anything I can eat, and those are the only things I know.”

When the rabbit was gone, the three little pumpkins let out a collective sigh of relief. They then could contain their excitement, as each started to ask new questions.

“We are sure lucky!” Jack exclaimed. “We still don’t know why we are here, but now we know that we are not food for a rabbit.”

“Hurray!” shouted Toby and Sally. “We are not carrots or lettuce!”

The three little pumpkins chattered for the rest of the night as to what they were and what they weren’t.
In the rich soil, beneath the ever-shining sun, under the branches of a lonely oak, the three pumpkins shut their eyes and went to sleep. This day they found out that they weren’t rabbit food.
© Copyright 2005 Silverhand (UN: areck at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Silverhand has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/329317-Chapter-3